intermittent power loss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samcro

intermittent power loss

Post by samcro »

Have got a 106 with the tud5 engine in it (1.5D - same as the AX & Saxo) and it loses about 1/4 of its power at random times. It comes and goes suddenly. Can be driving along with foot flat to the floor and then suddenly the car jumps ahead and gets going again. When it's playing up it kicks out a fair bit of black smoke.
Any hints as to what might be happening?
Cheers for any advice
Sam
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You have some kind of a fuelling problem.
Unless you also experience starting problems, it's not a fuel line leak problem.
I'd start by looking at the fuel filter. Might simply need to have collected water drained out.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Thanks Anders.
A bit more info...
Replaced fuel filter a few months ago and completely bled the fuel system. There was almost no water in the old filter. Checked air intake and filter last week and they're fine. The power loss problem was happening before I did anything to the fuel system. Don't have any starting problems. Usually starts within a couple of cranks of the engine.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right - breather problem then ? [:D]
Try having the engine air intake wide open for a days drive to see how it performs.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Anders,
Can you explain a bit better what you mean?
There's an air intake at the front of the engine bay. A tube takes this to the air filter box(I've opened this and checked the filter - its fine) after this it goes past the camshaft cover and there's a pipe coming from this (slight bit of oil splatter inside the air pipe here but nothing serious). It then goes into a manifold and into the engine.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I mean let the engine take in air directly - by removing the intake air duct from filter !
I'm looking for possible collapsing air intake hoses, filters etc.
But if everything looks fine here - then perhaps it's time to try the exhaust ?
Jack up the car, then thump the exhaust boxes for any rattling debries. It's wellknown that debries internal to the boxes or piping, can block off the exhaust, and then the engine is strangled - on the exhaust side.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Ahh... Ok
I don't think that it's collapsing air inake/filter etc but there's always a possibility....
The bunged up exhaust sounds more likely. Will have a look at that over the weekend. Is that likely to cause black smoke? I'm getting a fair bit of smoke out the back when the engine is losing power, especially at higher revs. (about 3500+ red line is at 5000)
Thanks for the advice
Sam