ZX Fuel guage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stu
My Cars:

ZX Fuel guage

Post by Stu »

When I eventually get my car back from the Garage after having the head gasket done for the second time in two weeks (the garage messed up big time) I would like to see what this little Volcane turbo diesel is like. So far the car has broken down in one way or another on all but two trips so far. and I can only have done about 200 miles in it. One thing I have noticed is after putting diesel in it, A) the needle was only on 3/4 full, and b) the needle seemed to move down to the half tank mark then back up again almost with a life of it's own.
any ideas ? Should I just get rid of this car now before it drives me round the bend ?
IanD
My Cars:

Post by IanD »

I've got a Volcane TD also & the fuel gauge does seem to have a mind of it's own too. Doesn't bother me really as I know I always get 500miles to the fuel light (averaging around 49mpg) so I just go by that rather than the gauge.
Cheers,
Ian
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

the gauge in my 16v can go from 1/3 to hard in the empty with the light on under cornering.
and 500 miles to a tank? lol. It costs me about £40 to fill my 16v up from empty to the brim. Most ive ever got from a tank was 330 and that was driving it under 3000 and only flooring it about twice for the whole tank. I soon gave up on that idea as driving it however with odd bit of caining down the lanes to work etc I still get 300 so not much difference. Still shows how bad the economy is in it. About 25 on average. Its not too bad on the motorway though
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah yes the fuel guage. I think that most of us who have had or still run a ZX will confess the indicator does what it wants when it wants to most of the time. I always went on the milage and filled up around 450 to 480 miles. A lot easier. You'll see as you go around a corner the guage will move to empty then to full as you come out of the bend. Not worth tracing a new one.
andyg

Post by andyg »

I have to admit that my fuel gauge on my ZX TD Volcane has always been as accurate as possible. I have had the car now for some 10 years (8 years longer than i normally keep any car!) and have never had a moments trouble with it other than the self inflicted ones by myself.
Now my Stratos with it's Italien wiring! - thats another story!![:D][:(]
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

My fuel gauge has a tendency to go beserk with a big humidity change. In one of my trips to the coast, when I was coming back to the mountain line, the indicator went from full to empty about 5 times and then it died. After getting to my destination and waiting about 2 hours the gauge suddenly woke up and started working normally again.
So far, I haven't returned to the coast but when I do, at least I know what to expect.
Scottie
My Cars:

Post by Scottie »

my zx 1.9d starts to show signs of fuel starvation just below 1/4 ie conks out! solution? fill up before it gets there!!!!!!!!!!!!
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scottie</i>

my zx 1.9d starts to show signs of fuel starvation just below 1/4 ie conks out! solution? fill up before it gets there!!!!!!!!!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm always running my TD till the light comes on, never had any fuelling problems because of it.
I have noticed the 'catch up later' gauge characteristics though. It will stay full for 150miles and then starts to move, normally dropping to 3/4 within 10 miles or so.
I can't say I have ever gotten 500miles on a tank though, probably because I drive the car rather than letting it go everywhere at idle!![:D]
I've measured the mpg before and I was getting around 44mpg, but that was general commuting. 400 to 450miles is a <i>good</i> tank full!!