Petrol smell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rivendell

Petrol smell

Post by Rivendell »

Since filling the tank earlier today, my car has stunk of petrol. I completely filled the tank, and I guess part way up the filler neck as well. Checking under the car doesn't indicate that I have a leak anywhere, the pipes under the wheel arch are dry, but I'm beginning to wonder if I may have a slight leak on the top of the tank, where the fuel pump sits.
I'm not totally sure exactly where the pipework goes on a xantia, but maybe someone can suggest where the smell may be coming from and how to remedy it. Hopefully when I use some of the fuel the smell will go also.
Cheers
Phil
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If it's anything like the Xsara you'll be able to see a little bit of the fuel line when you lift the back seat up and prise the large plastic cover out. This should show the top of the tank with the pump and sender unit below. May just be a leaky seal on this part that screws in to the tank.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

The smell of fuel does things to your mind, it makes you paranoid, scared and nervous all at the same time.[?]
Just a small amount of fuel venting, or spilt, somewhere near the car can have you reaching for the fire extinguisher!!
It could be down to you filling it to the gunnels, the warm weather doesn't help either....during the day the fuel expands and then vents, it could be that.
It may be the seal at the top of the tank...unlikely though, why haven't you smelt it before?
Look under the bonnet with the engine running, wiggle some fuel pipes gently, any signs of leaks??
Wait till the fuel level drops and then investigate further if the fuel smell doesn't dissappear.[:)]
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

I had the same petrol smell in the car once aswell. I took it down to the dealer and he replaced 2 little clamps of the fuel lines (somewhere on top of the engine). (FOC by the way ... very unusual for a Cit garage). The clamps appearantly wear off after some time and the fuel pipes are high pressured. Not sure if this is your problem but it could be as it happened out of the blue with my beloved Xantia.
Cheers,
John
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Possibly the breather lines on top of the tank, they have a tendancy to become brittle with age and either snap or seep fuel.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Thanks guys. I think the problem lies with the seal on the top of the tank. Once the level of fuel in the tank started to drop, then the smell vanished also.
I'll check the seals next week when I've got more time. It's goona be a rare occasion for the tank to be filled up that much anyways[:p]
Averaged 39mpg over 640 miles in scottish highlands.
Cheers
Phil