Xantia Mpg........!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

i guess the best way to guage how much fuel you've used is to fill it,drive to a certain point on either the fuel guage or the trip counter,then fill it and see how many ltrs it takes from the reading on the fourcourt pump.
fact: a 65 ltr tank is just what it says,65ltrs from bottom of neck to bottom of tank.now to me even at a rough estimate,somwhere near the centre of the two points is half full,32ltrs ish.
my reserve light starts to flicker just below the last gradient on the guage but dos'nt stay on until at least another 20-30 miles farther down the road,at wich point(according to the owners handbook)you then have a further 8ltrs until you're running on fumes.
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by debutant</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jakeuk</i>

might give it a propper run soon full to reserve before refueling just out of curiosity,on my daily run to and from work 14 miles each way i usually get around 400miles from a tank of fuel wich aint too bad i think?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A td whith 400mls a tank is bad in my eyes! My (now sold) Xantia 1.8i did around 430mls a tank with 50/50 motorway and backroads. Considering my one uses petrol I think you need to double check. Xantia Td's do at least 40mpg and yours is not even close to it!
Cheers,
John
P.S. my Xantia is sold and driving a F%rd now, but I still will be around [8)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The content of the e mail i sent you was as genuine as the offer of £500 i gave you for your car at a time when i think it was,publicly at least the best offer?????
The very least i would have expected from such an apparantly benevolent man as yourself,would have been a reply to my e mail to decline my offer for whatever reason
i'll be around for at least another 40-50.K mls all econimic i hope[:)]
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

Hi Folks,
Just back from corwall to the west coast of scotland did 1700 miles in total, 1300 of them was towing a trailer tent at an illegal average of 70mph, the other 500 was done around the west country highways?? and I averaged 43mpg for the whole trip my normal brim to brim is 53 +/- 2mpg dependant on the time of year,not bad for an old girl of 8 years & 186K miles with a small air leak that I cant find[8D]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Think all yourselfs lucky you dont pay for the fuel on what i drive at work.
2002 Volvo 25ton 6x6 dumper.45ton fully laden,10ltr 6cly,310 bhp.1.8 mpg,yes,1.8mpg!500ltr fuel tank.Its just a shame i cant get any Diesel for my car.They wouldn`t notice 65 ltrs missing!
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

The only reliable(ish) way to calculate your mpg over a short period is to fill up to the brim (second or third click off at the pump) and then return to the same pump and fill up again. The distance travelled and the amount of fuel to refill the tank gives you the consumption. I keep a spreadsheet to log my fuel consumption and servicing etc and although I rarely use the same pump, I calculate mpg per fill up, per month and an overall figure. Overall the Xantia gives between 44 and 45 mpg but at the end of the month (if money is tight) I can get an average of 50+ mpg - driving very carefully, no aircon and keeping the tank as empty as practical (usually filling up £10 or £20 at a time). Driving like this is very boring though and it doesn't last for long [:)]. Essentially, to increase your mpg you have to drive smoothly, slowly and keep the car as light as possible; oh, and downhill helps! Interestingly, since I have played with the boost and tuning the car goes much better (so much easier to drive) and my average mpg has risen from around 41 mpg to 44-45 mpg despite getting driven harder - and it passed its MoT emissions.
RaceMouse
My Cars:

Post by RaceMouse »

Hi All,
I completely agree with davek-uk. During the last 15.000 Km (ca. 3 months !!!) I've entered the fuelling data (Litres pumped in, Full tank ?, Odometer, price, date, yaddayadda) into my little Palm m515 handheld. This has resultet in a more accurate estimate about the cars consumption. My Xantia 2.1 TD Break gives me 17.43 Km/Litre. This is 49.78 MPG.
Hmmmm... I guess it is ok but I can't help thing about what a rear "spoiler" (the ones forcing air from roof to rear window) would du to the economy ?!?!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Racemouse - the ideal airflow situation on the xantia would be for the air to follow the back window which would mean that there is no turbulence at the roof/window junction. If this is happening (and it does on some cars) you should find that the back window stays clean and that rain doesn't settle on it when the car is being driven at reasonable speeds and water that has collected when standing clears itself.
Interestingly BX hatchbacks have no locking position for the rear wiper, but estates do. The estate window doesn't self clean but I assume the hatch does.
jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've got an early '95 VSX 2.0i 5speed and have been pretty impressed with the consumption.
It's done over 200K klms and will still return 40mpg on a run and this week over 672klms it used 59 litres (based on tankful to tankful) which is almost 35 mpg.
Alan S
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

My 1.8 16v petrol Xantia rarely does any serious town crawling, and about half my mileage is around the 80 mph mark, with the rest mainly in the 40-50 range. I get around 37 mpg overall in Britain, which seems good enough to me.
Long distances in France work out about the same as a rule, but that's with a full load of maybe 600 pounds of stuff in the back. 535 miles is the most I've ever got from a full tank without bottling out and refilling the tank - but then, what's the point of running the car right down to empty? You just get crud in the fuel lines.
I suspect that 98 octane fuel goes further than 95 octane, but I've never actually tried to prove it. Makes a hell of a difference to performance, though. Pity it's so pricey in Britain.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just got 39.8 mpg from 2.0 HDi Xant towing 1250kg van (at speeds of upto 75mph -sshhhhh)
quite impressed really