Xantia Mpg........!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

I get 35.5mpg in my 1.8 8v petrol. That is typically averaging around 70+mph on long motorway journeys. i.e. sitting at 80mph, but averaging out over the journey. Excellent in my opinion as my other car only does about 20mph - hence buying the Xantia !
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys [:)]
Planning on some long trips next week. Girlfriends family over from Germany, so it's 'Rivendells Tour Company' has just begun trading ....[:p]
I'll let you know how it performs with the fuel economy when I've done some serious miles.
Cheers
Phil
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

guys ,
try this site for the calculation...if you don't have it already.
http://www.geocities.com/mpgcalc/
regards
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

righto used the converter as suggested, now the guage says 65ltr tank wich i divided into 3 and entered 22ltr used over 260 miles averaged 53.73 mpg :) wich tells me everything is running ok.
a very happy jake
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Hmmm If your gauge is like mine then the top third represents about half-a-tankful.
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

thats the difference between a pesimist & an optimist m8[:D]
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

If I am to believe my fuel gauge I get about 50 mpg from the first half of a tankfull and only about 30 mpg from the second half, needless to say I always try to keep the tank full to get the benefit of the 50 mpg.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I'd have to say that's the difference between an Optimist and a Realist.
My old Xantia's gauge was exactly the same, the first third on the guage was approximately half a tank, after that, it used to fall faster than a lift with snapped cable and no brakes.
Oh and just to add to the debate, my C3 gave a genuine 72mpg on a run recently........
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

might give it a propper run soon full to reserve before refueling just out of curiosity,on my daily run to and from work 14 miles each way i usually get around 400miles from a tank of fuel wich aint too bad i think?
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jakeuk</i>

might give it a propper run soon full to reserve before refueling just out of curiosity,on my daily run to and from work 14 miles each way i usually get around 400miles from a tank of fuel wich aint too bad i think?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A td whith 400mls a tank is bad in my eyes! My (now sold) Xantia 1.8i did around 430mls a tank with 50/50 motorway and backroads. Considering my one uses petrol I think you need to double check. Xantia Td's do at least 40mpg and yours is not even close to it!
Cheers,
John
P.S. my Xantia is sold and driving a F%rd now, but I still will be around [8)]
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Yes I would agree 400 miles a tankful is poor, mine does around 500 miles between refils, I usually refil when the low fuel light begins to flicker this usually results in about 12.5 gallons going in the tank ( 40 mpg ), my car is mainly used for short journeys and the A/C is mostly on. The bottom line here is that fuel gauges are not accurately calibrated and can not be realistically used for calculating fuel consumption.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Having read the various theories on fuel consumption, I'll do my own tests next week. I'll fill the tank to the brim, then after completing my travels, or part of it, I'll top the tank up again and see how much I've used and how far I've travelled. seems logical to me, but if there's a better way then I'm willing to listen.[:)]
jimthain
My Cars:

Post by jimthain »

if your gauge is like mine then for the 1st 100 miles the needle dosn't even move.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Please don't think I enjoyed trying to get 65 mpg, I'm not a fan of slipstreaming lorries on purpose! [:)] Consumption is usually 38-45mpg every month, mainly town driving.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Well I've just worked out an average of 35mpg from my 1.8 16v auto with starship mileage. Mind you, I could have walked most of those miles quicker, and for the price of a couple of mars bars.