Main shaft - possible death!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

It wasn't driveable as it would get stuck in gear! It also was a hell of a lot harder to get the thing into gear, especially 1st, felt real crunchy! So in practical terms I don't think it would have been feasible and it may have lead onto further probs?!
The clutch is out and is in ok nick (still some face left on it)but am still changing that.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Sudden death then!!! It's unusual for a gearbox to die so suddenly unless there's been oil starvation, or maybe it was just a dodgily manufactured bearing- they will usually soldier on for years if its just general wear and old age!!
If you have got a replacement box then get it fitted complete, especially if its from a write-off as at least you know it was working until it crashed, and it will be a whole lot cheaper than overhauling the existing box, which will be expensive if you don't do it yourself.
I did it once in the past with a BL gears-in-sump box, and it was hell on earth!!!!the parts (bearings and synchro-rings, etc, were cheap but very hard to source and a huge amount of dismantling was involved-<u>never again!!!!!</u>
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That right off your having sounds like an e-bay gold mine. Or are you going to keep the interior and all the other bits?
As for the gearbox, having spent a couple or more years working and industrial machine gearbox's the sort that are as big a a car, I can confirm like all the rest the the end float is a little too much.
fordsone27n
My Cars:

Post by fordsone27n »

A couple of months back I replaced the 3/4th gear synchro unit in my Xantia's gearbox. The parts are all available from the Citroen dealer, including the shafts etc, but they are expensive. Luckily the synchro unit only cost 80 quid, but from what I remember the dealer saying, the shafts were in the order of a couple hundred each! Makes a breaker look a bargain. Best of luck with it.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Drove the write off back last night (got it insured and booked it in for an MOT!). It drove absolutely fine, better than my existing one. Will begin the transfer this eve!!
Only pain in the neck is the engine on this write off had its cam belt changed @ 39k and its done 92k, (my engine has done 134k) so its probably going to be wise to replace the belt in this at the same time, you need a special tool for this job right? Is it straight forward?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If the engines out of the vehicle, it's a piece of cake. It's just a case of locking the positions of the crank, cam and injector pump. There are special tools for this, but with the engine out, you can use any old bolt/drill shank/stiff piece of wire od suitable size to do the job.
//NiSk
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

yeah NiSk, thats exactly what my mate Peter said, 'special tool indeed' he exclaimed, bloody main dealer mechanics trying to make more money outta ya!! He decided on drill bits!
we got the write off engine and box out last night, the engine looks to be in real good nick, no oil leakage from the rocker cover gasket (unlike my old one which is completely covered in sludge leaked from there). The only wee concern was coolant crystalisation where the hose meets the fuel filter from the rad, but thats should be easily remedied.
Hopefully should have the car back together with new clutch, cam belt, full service etc by sunday in time for a few well earned jars down the pub!!!
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

At last. Job done. Finished putting the new engine and gearbox in on saturday. Overall the job wasn't too bad and the changing and replacing of things was pretty straightforward.
Turned it over and started sweet first time. In fact this engine sounds and starts better than me old one and the main thing, the gearbox is much much better than the previous (which always used to have a little crunch when it went into reverse) and goes into gear so much smoother. When we had the new g'box out, checked the main shaft on it and there were absolutely no play on it at all, which was very encouraging!!!
So job done.
One thing I wanted to post for feedback I'll start in a new topic.