Main shaft - possible death!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Main shaft - possible death!

Post by adzbaby »

I think the main shaft in my gearbox went last night. I have a Xantia 1.9 TD LX '94.
It could possibly be the death of the car depending on how much it is gonna cost to repair the damn thing. Does anyone have any idea where the best place (in essex or hampshire, I can readily get to places in both)to get a re-con one or a well stocked citroen breakers? Also does anyone know roughly how much I should expect to pay for either a re-con g'box or one from a breakers?
Will appreciate any advice offered in this sad and emotional time!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Well, a clutch job on a Xantia TD is often the thick end of £400 add to that the cost of a 2nd hand box (what makes you think the main shaft has gone?) and you are not likely to see much change out of £600. That will buy an N or P plate TD with average miles - add another few hundred and you will get a really nice one - some clear thinking is going to be required....
PS just re-read your post - if you DIY it will not be too bad, but a clutch kit is £100, dunno about the cost of a box though - they rarely seem to go wrong so there should be plenty about [8)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

When I thought the main shaft of my Rallye Imp's gearbox had gone, it turned out the clutch centre had disintegrated - you never know your luck!(?)
//NiSk
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

RichardW,
Thanks for ya reply. I think the main shaft has gone cause the AA guy who towed me home had a gander and that was his prognosis! I have a friend who is having a look this arvo to give me a professional opinion. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that he may be able to do any work required for me if its a viable thing to do.
If it is the g'box the original clutch will be ok to use ah? Won't have to get a new kit?
Anyhow there is definitely some thinking ahead!! Cheers.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you're going to the time and effor of taking a gearbox off, you might as well stretch to the cost of a new clutch, unless its been done in the last 50k miles it is probably worth replacing.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

true, I will have to wait and see what happens and then make some decisions.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If your struggling to find spares or a new box try your local yellow pages. There should be loads of people who do gearbox repairs. One had a Lada Niva 4x4 box repaired for only £230 by a local bloke out of the yellow pages. Often very good service from the smaller places.
Funny that Lada to Citroen?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it were me I'd be ripping its guts out & getting a final diagnosis in case as Nigel says, it may be something much less costly.
If it turns out to be more minor than major, take the opportunity to go through things like clutch/clutch cable and anything else that is subject to wear and hard to access when the car's assembled and get a bit more value out of the car whilst you've got it. Be sure to let us know what you find; I have a feeling this may not be as bad as first thought.
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi,
I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but he didn't say 'driveshaft' as opposed to mainshaft. I've never before heard of a Citroen gearbox mechanically breaking as you suggest, sure synchro's get weak, but the actual gearbox itself is usually bloody strong[:o)]
seeya,
Shane L.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Yep definitely the g'box. When the engine was idling with the clutch engaged there was a repetitive mechanical 'tapping' which was 100% coming from the g'box(sounded like a train going over the tracks) which ceased when the clutch was depressed. So it could be the bearings and possibly be repairable. Nearly finished dropping the g'box last night,(got too dark) my friend is gonna give me the verdict when its out.
Will definitely replace 'other' bits when its all out, already noticed that driver side ball joint is shot, tyre bald as a coot on the inside (had it MOT'd 2 n a bit months back and they missed that, how I don't know!!) and fortunately I have family in the motor trade and can get components trade price (which you need when you have your first on the way and ya trying save some money!!).
The plot thickens.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

The next stage...
Dropped the g'box and my friend stripped it down to have a look (he is a mechanic of 40 years and is renowned in these parts for being 'one of the good uns'). My knowledge is non existent so basically I am repeating what he told me. He stated that the g'box had tapered bearings and due to that there shoudln't be any movement on the main shaft, but there is ( a fair bit, you can wiggle it side to side by about 4 mm, he thinks that is my problem, he admitted he hasn't opened a xantia g'box before so can't give a definite opinion but says it doesn't seem good. He has taken it apart and put it back together 3 times and can't do anything about the movement.
Should the main shaft be solid and not move about like this, does anyone know what it should/shouldn't do? Do you agree thats the problem?
I have found a guy who has an insurance right-off that has a mint interior the same as mine, good tyres (i need 3 new ones) 40k less on the clock than mine with an absolutely fine engine, g'box etc according to him and a service history! He was driving it still for 2 months after the accident. I managed to barter with him and knocked him down from £225 to £135. My mate Pete is very very kindly doing all the work for me free.
Does this sound like a good plan to you guys? It seems the best option to me considering the amount of spares I can get off this car. Its probably gonna cost me £30-40 going to get it etc (100 miles from me) but the best price i can get for a 2nd hand g'box is £75 and I have to get it off the car myself, for one thats already off, cheapest is £120 in Essex.
The whole thing is a pain in the ass, bring back the horse n cart I say!!
Cheers.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'd say your mate is right.
You are nearly always better buying your spares with a car attached for several reasons.
1. You can test that the part you want actually works.
2. You have access to all mountings, fixings, ancillaries etc that might break on your car during the job.
3. You can rob bits you need off the donor car and sort some of those niggly minor faults. (e.g. non-illuminating window switches)
4. You can retain parts for future use (mirrors and lights are good things to keep in stock) or sell them (You could come close to recouping your money by selling the engine.
5. Complete cars are frequently cheaper than a single part from a breaker.
One warning though, make sure this car hasn't suffered gearbox damage in its accident.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Really sounds like your gearbox has done a runner! 4 mm is far to much axial play. Of course, fitting new bearings should sort that, but the question remains if anything in the box has been damaged by the excess movement (like gear teeth being incorrectly worn), so another box is the logical solution.
BUT - make sure it actually belongs to the guy who's selling it!
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Thanks advice taken on board! I have spoken to the guy a few times now on the phone and he sounds very genuine and although I will do the necessary checks I feel quite confident that the bloke is, as they say, 'kosher'.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Now the box is out you may as well get the work done, but was it driveable but just noisy?
I say this because I have had two cars with failed mainshafts, one a marina, and the other my current BX- the BX has done the last 35,000 miles with a death rattle when the pedal is pressed, and the Marina eventually died due to terminal rust, but with its mainshaft still happily slopping about and rattling, as it had for the 3 years I owned it..................