service filters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

service filters

Post by meexi »

Hi,
The HDI engine only requires filter changes every 12,500 miles.
I know that you can get extended oil filters but what about the air and fuel filters surely standard filters will not last the mileage?
Meexi
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

The air and fuel filters should get to 12.5K no problem, maybe even 25K.
But they're so cheap (through GSF), why not just change them anyway?
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Even if I owned an HDI I still think I would be changing oil and filter every 6000 miles. Filters and oil are quite cheap really and if you intend to keep the car for a long time then 6000 mile oil changes may be rewarded. But if you intend to sell before about 100,000 miles just do the minimum necessary or the next owner will be rewarded for all your extra care.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Isn't the oil change interval extended by the use of higher spec (and presumably more expensive) oil ?
If so I can't see the point of 6k oil changes unless cheaper lower spec oil is used.
Mark
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The point would probably be peace of mind on the part of ScottFromNZ.
In the US (and probably many other places too) the engine oil that is widely available is not as good quality as the oil cheaply / widely available here in the UK. In the US you see many people recommending 3000 mile oil change intervals.
With better quality oils, a bigger oil filter and an engine that is cleaner (HDI is cleaner and has lower compression ratio than 1.9 TD) you can extend oil change intervals without sacrificing engine life significantly.
When an HDI engine gets old worn smoky with a big mileage it might beneift significantly from the shorter intervals but not until that point.