Gearbox oil specs.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brian doyle

Gearbox oil specs.

Post by brian doyle »

I recently purchased some "Total transmission BV SAE 75W-80W new forumla" gear oil from GSF. I'm just wondering whether this oil is GL-4 or GL-5. I tried the Total website and couldn't find any specs for this oil.
I want to change the gear oil in my Renault Megane gearbox and wonder if the Total BV oil is suitable.
According to my Renault workshop manual, the recommended oil for my car is Tranself TRJ 75w 80w which I have found from the Elf website is a GL-5 oil.
When I went to a renault dealer to get some they tried to sell me Tranself TRZ which is GL-4. They were adamant that that was the right oil for my car even though I know it isn't. I suspect that they hadn't got the TRJ in stock and thought that they'd flog me whatever they had lying around and hope I didn't notice the different spec.
Anyhow...what about the Total BV stuff. Is it GL-4 or GL-5, and can I use it in my Megane.
thanks,
brian
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Brian, if you look at http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... hTerms=oil
We discussed this topic, I'm reasonably sure it's GL5 I THINK[:D][:D]
Perhaps[;)]
Maybe[}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I found that the gear box oil supplied by GSF to be alright. Suited my old ZX td and was cheaper than the main dealer for the same or similar spe'd oil. Buy the way how many miles has your Renault coverd. My ZX was on to about 160k before it's first gear box oil change. Most manufactures say the oil is in for the life time of the veichle.
brian doyle

Post by brian doyle »

Thanks for the responses so far. The Megane has done 140k miles and although the gearbox is working fine, I want to change the oil as a precaution as I'm hoping that this car will last me another while :)
There is very little info on the bottle of Total BV. And I can't find any mention of the oil on the Total website. I may contact Total customer service and see if I can find out any info.
When I went to a Renault dealer they wanted over 2x as much for a bottle of Tranself TRZ as GSF wanted for the same quantity of Total BV. And as I said already, Tranself TRZ is not even the right oil for my car (according to renaults own workshop manual) Total BV may not be right either but at least it's cheaper :)
brian
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

From memory, I'm fairly confident its a GL-4 spec oil and made a big difference to the change. When I got my ZX, it was 3000 miles after a gearbox oil change at a Halfords service centre. The change quality was poor.
I dropped the oil (clean but obviously not the genuine stuff - wrong colour and smelled like normal EP90) and refilled with the right stuff. The change immediately returned to normal and has stayed nice for the last 30,000 miles since. I'm not normally one for "genuine" fluids but this did seem to make a difference.
FWIW, even if the right stuff is expensive, you use so little of it and change it so infrequently, you may as well put the right stuff in for peace of mind.
brian doyle

Post by brian doyle »

OK, I contacted Total UK about the BV transmission oil. According to their technical advisor, it is API GL-5.
Hope this clears things up :)
brian