ZX brakepipe, hell!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

ZX brakepipe, hell!

Post by Jon »

Here I am fresh from a weekend of hell on the old ZX TD, amazing how these 5 minutes jobs take so long!
Job this weekend was to swap both front brake hoses, easy enough. Problem being was that I was running with Dispatch front hoses, which are slightly too short, this was due to a misunderstanding with one of my colleagues! [}:)]
Anyway, purchased correct Berlingo/ZX 16v brake hoses, which are just right, and went ahead with the work on Saturday morning, thinking that it would be 20 minutes at the most, bearing in mind that the other hoses have only been on 6 weeks since I did the Berlingo Calipers/pads/discs upgrade. Passenger side hose was changed in 5 minutes, great. Drivers side all went horribly wrong, 11mm brake pipe spanner just slipped and the nut on the metal pipe was seized (must have overtightened it previously). Then resorted to time honoured mole grips method, then stilsons which just crushed the nut. After several patient hours invoked angle grinder and cut through nut, together with some of the metal bracket and made large groove in inner wing. Retired to pub before major temper loss.
Uopen return from said pub, attempted to trace and extract metal brake pipe to find that it followed an impossible route right over to the LH side of the car and a 3 way union. Removal of the intercooler and pipework followed, and old pipe extracted after lubing my forearms with baby oil and cutting old pipe into 4 bits. Further visit to pub after shower and to bed.
Sunday morning (hangover) and my mate gave me a lift to a local car accessory place who made up 1.5 meters of Cupranickel pipe with the correct ends for just £4.50! At last a result. It became quite clear that the new pipe was never going to follow the route of the old one, so out with the drill, cable ties and such to provide a safe routing. I finished at about 3 this afternoon. Made superb repair to angle grinder damaged inner wing using black silicone.[:)]
Well, that was my weekend, hands look like hell, and arms cut to ribbons. Never again until the next time.
Citroens? I love 'em.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dear Jon [;)]
Reading your story makes me back hurts - pr instinct [:D]
Why is it that despite you're growing old and getting more & more experienced with DIY car reps - you still think that a 10 min's job would only take you 5min's this time - and then turns into full weekend disasters [:o)]
- no matter the make/model of car - the choice of tools - the spares you buy beforehand - you name it -
[:D][:D][:D]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Strange you should say that about the seized brake pipes Jon, I had hell on the wifes old AX GT when that needed new rear brake pipes, seized, badly routed, you name it it was a pig. Recently went to my One ownerf rom new 1978 GS club with only 27,000 miles on it, using a proper snap on 8mm flare wrench the rear brake pipes came undone, easily cleanly and went back again (with new 3.5mm LHM seal) no problem at all, how come 10 year old cars are a pig and 26 year old ones no problem? Im glad the Wifes Visa 17D had already been done brake pipe wise before we got it and ths GSA doesnt need any pipes (touch wood)