LPG

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

LPG

Post by bernie »

Good morning all[:)]
Has anyone here had a LPG conversion on a Xantia or BX?
Does anyone run a LPG converted car?
If so could you please tell me a bit about it ie. conv. cost, running cost, problems etc.
I'm looking for a top spec. Xantia TD estate but Petrol versions are a lot cheaper[:D] and I was thinking of converting one to LPG.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Citroen did sell Xantias from new with LPG already fitted, might be difficult to find one however.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

1.8 models i think.The cost is about £800-£1500.Needs to be done at a good garage.A friend had his Land Rover 110 V8(Ereg)done on the cheap,had so many probs with it.By the time it got sorted by a good garage,the money he spent could have brought a Discovery!The mpg has doubled(petrol+lpg=30mpg)but a Discovery TD 30ish mpg.
At the moment,LPG prices are low,and more & more garages are selling it.34p per ltr at asda in bristol.But the Goverment wont leave the duty low for ever.Will be same as petrol in a few years.Performance is about the same for both.Depending where the tank goes you can lose boot space.You also have another filler mounted on the car(can look a bit odd)You really need to keep the car for a fair few years & and to do a lot of miles on the lpg to save money.
Me personly,i would spend the extra money on a Diesel & save money in the long term.Unless your car is very new,or a certain type,then you can get a Goverment grant to help with the cost.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Hi Bernie, I have a Astra Van for work that was supplied with the conversion done by Vauxhall. I find it is cheaper to run, typically if I put in £17 - £18 of gas I get about 210 - 240 miles out of that. It would be more but my van is almost fully laden all the time + it has ladders on roof and I have a heavy right foot. You also lose some BHP but not a great amount and it will do less mpg on gas but as np said if, or should I say when the price is hiked up it won't be worth doing but that should be a while off yet. What I would say is if you do a lot of miles that would cover the cost of the conversion then go for it or better still get one that has been converted. Hope this helps Alec.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks all for your input.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Hi, go to the bx16v forum (www.bx16v.com) Ollie on there actualy runs a fitting company and is fully trained. ive been in a few cars he has done and you cant tell the diference between LPG and normal petrol. When the v6 is sucessfully running on petrol he will be getting it to LPG.
Andy