KKK Turbo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

KKK Turbo

Post by RichG »

Does anybody know the ratio of turns on the adjustment screw on a KKK Turbo wastegate to psi increase in boost? I am going to measure the boost this weekend and may adjust it if it is below 1 Bar.
Also is there an easy way to adjust the wastegate as the access in my 1.9TD Xantia is somewhat limited to say the least.
Thanks
Richard
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I would have thought that if the boost pressure was too low, it would be due to a fault, like a sticking wastegate, so it would not be a good idea to try to cure it by adjustment, in case the fault clears. JMHO
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

As I understand it the two primary causes of the boost pressure being low are:
1) It is set low at manufacture (there has been debate as to whether the estates are set low on purpose)
2) The wastegate spring has weakened with age which is a strong possibility due to the temperature that the wastegate works at. The springs on the exhust to turbo joint have an insulating washer between them and the flange to try to stop them getting too hot.
If the wastegate has stuck then this would be apparent as adjusting it would have no effect.
Richard
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

one thing you have not mentioned causing low boost presure, is a leak in your pipe work between the turbo and manifold and also the manifold face to the cylinder head.
If I'm correct yours has a ECU controlled system and the amount of boost is controlled it. If not, the standard boost should be 14.5psi(1bar)
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have checked the max boost, up hill, 3rd gear, foot down, and it is 1 bar so I have left the turbo alone.
Although my Xantia has a 'primitive' ecu with sensors for crankshaft position and throttle opening to my knowledge this only controls the injection timing and not the turbo boost. This is controlled by the spring loaded wastegate (although I may be wrong).
Richard