No mid position on rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

short_frank
My Cars:

No mid position on rear suspension

Post by short_frank »

Hi,
I have a 97 1.9TD Xantia and today while coming home from town the back seemed very low and the ride at the back hard. When I got home I brought the car to its top height but the back refused to go down to the driving position while the front operated normally. I moved the lever to its lowest position and back and front dropped but when I put it to driving position the front lifted while the back stayed down. I experimented a few times but the same result. I left the back at its highest position with the lever in driving position for a few hours and when I came out it was the same. When I started it to go to work tonight the back dropped but the ride still seems slightly hard and I got flashed a few times as if my lights were high. Any help please!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The link to the rear height corrector has fallen off and / or is broken. Probablu means the height corrector is seized also. You might be able to free off the corrector and replace the link, but you will probably end up fitting a new corrector. Get underneath (car supported properly of course) and have a look in the middle of the car in front of the spare.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Frank
If your height corrector is sticking, and it is not due to road crud on the linkage, it probably just needs cleaning out - not too difficult. They rarely wear out or need replacing. However, unless your LHM is spotlessly clean, you will have to do the same job again soon. Any dirt particles in the system end up in the tiny holes in the HC dampers.
Mike
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've cleaned up two height correctors / linkages that were seized, never actually had to replace one.
short_frank
My Cars:

Post by short_frank »

Thanks for the help. Linkage was indeed off and when I replaced it and cleaned everything was hunky dory.
deelite
My Cars:

Post by deelite »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

I've cleaned up two height correctors / linkages that were seized, never actually had to replace one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How do you clean the height correctors and what is the best product for it?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I removed mine completely, took the hydraulic valve off, dismantled it completely and put it through a parts washer (jizer / parafin mix).
Spraying them with a load of a light oil like WD40 works to a degree in situ, but is not as good as the full parts washer treatment. After you've cleaned with WD40 you'll need to lubricate with something heavier, e.g. engine oil and put some grease on to keep the oil in and the muck out.