Mirror mirror on the door.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rivendell

Mirror mirror on the door.....

Post by Rivendell »

Hi,
For someone with limited mechanical/techinical expertise, how complicated is it to replace the passenger mirror unit ?
Someone had clobbered the mirror on the passenger side of the car before I bought it, and now I've acquired a replacement mirror from the breakers and need to fit it. The unit is a manual adjustment item, but as I've never attempted anything like this, I'd like to be able to fit it and have the door back in it's original state without having rattling panels etc.
Cheers
Phil
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Shouldn't be too hard. I don't know about the Xantia but a Xsara is easy. Take off the trim with the mechanism in and pass adjuster through trim. You should see about 3 screws holding mirror to the door, undo and replace and as Haynes say replace is reverse of removal. A Xantia wouldn't be that different would it ?
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Ive never done a Xantia mirror, But the normal way is to remove the adjusting handle from inside, Normally its a clip or sometimes a screw.
You then would unclip the internal plastic door trim to get at the mirror screws.
Open the window & if you can get a helper to hold the mirror as you undo the screw, Which most likely will be a Torx 20 fitting a *
Its then a case of lifting the mirror off, dont lose the gasket, & re fit the new mirror.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Wow....you make it sound so easy...lol Ok, it's time to bite the bullet and do the business [:I]
Cheers
Phil
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I hope you have some Torx drivers *
T 20 is the favourite for trim fittings on Citroens & Peugeots.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Mission accomplished [:D] Wow, I feel ready to strip down the engine next and reconfigure the fuel injection system next..lol (only joking)
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I was slightly daunted with the prospect of dismantling a perfectly good door, just to gain acess to a busted mirror, but it wasn't as bed as I first expected.
I did have one torx driver, but I think maybe a trip to the local hardware store to buy some different sizes will be in order before my next session.
Thanks again guys.
Phil
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

On the way to the hardware store try the local pound shop. In most pound shops these days you'll find a screwdriver with interchangable bits - flat, phillips, posidrive and torx. They are usually a good source of cleaning products and wiper blades - if you don't own a car with odd sized blades, [:(] damn...