Key question ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rivendell

Key question ?

Post by Rivendell »

Hi,
Of the two buttons on my remote key fob thingy, only the one closest to the actual key seems to do anything. This activates the central locking, and upon deactivating the central locking, the indicators flash.
The 'light' on the remote doesn't appear to illuminate, and pressing the second button doesn't appear to have any effect on the cat. I've had both batteries replaced.
Is my key fob knackered, or can I somehow re-tune it to the car or can someone tell me what its for please. ?
Cheers..
Phil
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The second button should set the deadlocks if you have them.
To test if you have deadlocks, Lock the car with the key in the door, turn the key towards the rear of the car & hold it there for a few seconds, Central locking should lock & then you should hear the deadlocks setting.
Try locking with the big button & then withing 3 seconds pressing the little button & listen for the deadlocks setting.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Ok.... It seems I have deadlocks [:)] and pressing the other button within 3 seconds of pressing the first button does seem to activate something. Is there any other use for the second button, other than pressing it within 3 seconds of the frst..?
I assume the alarm is activated by pressing the first button and activating the central locking ?
What's the difference between central locking and deadlocking ? I realise this is probably the daftest question opsted today, but some clarity on this would be most helpful.
Cheers
Phil
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

pressing the first button nearest to the key locks the car and pressing the second button deadlocks the car AND activates the alarm.
Pressing the first button then ulockes the car and truns off the alarm.
The alarm siren silencer is under the bonnet near the passenger door on the window vallance near the screen. put in the ignition key and turn will deactivate or activate the siren.
Regards
Paul
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Set the deadlocks with the remote key & wait 30 seconds, then unlock the car using the door lock, not the remote & see if the alarm goes off.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Hi,
I've just looked under the bonnet, as suggested, and there is a key switch there. As my next door nieghbour has small children, I'll wait till tomorrow to try activating the siren and stuff.
It's amazing how much you can get to know by asking the right questions in the right places [:D]
Thanks guys, I'll come back to you with more questions should tomorrows experiments prove to be unsuccessful, or raise new issues for me.
Cheers,
Phil
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The central locking locks the car as normal.
Deadlocks= If a thieving little bugger smashes a window and trys to unlock the door from the inside,the locking catch would move as normal,but the doors would not open.This is deadlocking.You cant open the door from the inside.
Try it.Sit in the car,lock it and deadlock with the fob,you`ll see what i mean.
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

I now understand the principals behind the dealocking issue, thanks guys.
My deadlocking only seems to work during the 3 seconds after activating the central locking. Is this normal, or have I got something wrong somewhere ?
I'll attempt the siren exercise tomorrow so as not to wake the nieghbourhood when it goes off...[:I]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

That's normal.
If I remember right it worked on mine during th etime the indicators are illuminated.
On later models one button unlocks, the other locks and a second press of the locking button activates the deadlocks.