Another ZX Handling Thread

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DomF9
My Cars:

Another ZX Handling Thread

Post by DomF9 »

Hi all
Some months back, Citroen had my ZX 1.9D Reflex in for a snapped throttle cable. When they fitted it they noticed a problem with the front brakes and told me that my brakes were only at about 50% on the o/s/f and about 25% on the n/s/f. Thought no more about it but made mental log to have them sorted on the MoT.
Two weeks ago I bought some s/h alloys and tyres. I was originally on 13" steels with 155/75/13 budgets. I've now got Marshall Power Race II 195/45/15s directionals. Just after I fitted them, the car went in for its MoT. Garage could find nothing wrong with the brakes, yet I'm finding the steering/braking unpredictable.
On occasions the car pulls to one side or the other, irrespective of camber - I do the same journey and back each day - or whether I'm braking or not. Now I've read the other threads about tyres, although they're a different problem to mine, but what I want to know is is having a bigger footprint likely to enlarge torque steer and give the unpredictability that I've now got?
I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence if these handling problems have arisen after I changed wheels, or if the tyres are the cause.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Well you aren't experiencing torque steer with a 1.9D thats for sure, Marshall tyres are budget tyres and when fitted you will be gauranteed a budget performance, the extra width shouldn't cause adverse handling and in the dry should be a plus, budget or not.
In the wet however a wider tyre can be disasterous, and especialy so of budget types, I am using a ZX TD with sh!t tyres on it at the moment and in the wet it commands some respect if you want to nip on a bit, just because they've got tread and are legal doesn't mean they are any good for the job they need to do, when the fronts are a bit lower I'll cob the lot and stick some Goodies on.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are the rims you have fitted standard Citroen? If they are not is the offset of the hub face corect? From the sound of it the offset could be different and the centre of the contact patch may have moved and could cause the problems you are experiencing.
having said that we purchased an elderly mini some years ago and it came with thick spacers apparently for cosmetic reasons. I eventually took them off and never really noticed any difference much to my surprise.
Jeremy
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

Dave, yeah I'd have expected the handling to have improved too, not the opposite.
Jeremy, the rims came off a Peugeot 106, but the Tyresave website states the ZX should have an ET of 15 to 22, and the Pug an ET of 12 to 18. Luckily the rims are ET15.
I have found that the cornering in the dry is much better, its just this niggly pulling to either side that's bugging me, esp as Citroen said there was a brake prob before they were fitted. Now considering going back to steels for a day or two to compare.
Cheers guys
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

Ok guys, I changed my mind and installed 195/60/15s on it as they are as close to the circumference of the steels' combo. The ride has improved instantly, and is no longer a nightmare on the road. However, the unpredictability is still there, although nowhere near as noticeable as it was - it was getting to the point where you had to have a death grip on the wheel in case it suddenly veered.
Neither Citroen nor my local garage can find any fault with it. Both the original steels and today's 195/60/15s are budgets so I don't think it's necessarily the tyres but it's still doing the erratic pulling to one side or the other during braking, which it wasn't before these alloys were fitted. Both pads are at about 50% and neither disc is warped so I'm rapidly running out of scapegoats!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

could it be a collapsed brake hose on one side? so one brake is getting more fluid than the other??
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

our ZX 1.9D needed new pads when we purchased it and i judged the discs as being somewhat worn but ok for another set of pads. i duly fitted the pads and the performance was adequate but no better.
Eventaully this year I changed the discs and fitted new pads - transformed! brakes are now quite good in feel and will stop very well. Much to my surprise the discs didn't look as bad as I recalled and when I replaced them I thought that my original judgement hadn't been that far off the mark.
What I did notice was that there was a band of polished rust at the centre of the disc about 1/8th inch wide. I came to the conclusion that the new pads I'd fitted had been a different make and slightly larger and contact with a previously unused section of disc prevented best contact and caused the problem.
Had I carefully cut away the extra bit of pad would the things have worked better?
jeremy
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

Thanks guys. I think, on the basis of your comments, that a set of disks might be the next option. They were changed when I got the car 2 years ago, and I've only done 12K miles since.