Is the VSX any good? honestly.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

Is the VSX any good? honestly.....

Post by mseymour »

The ride in my VSX estate is crap. It's harsh over any bumps and potholes, it bounces along gently with any ripples in the road and you feel every imperfection in the road surface.
It's a bit better than a 206 or an astra, but the ride is nowhere near as nice as a 307 or a punto.
In the last year it's had all new spheres, fluid change - the old fluid wasn't too bad and pleiades have adjusted the ride height, which was apparently a little high.
But it's still crap and pleiades say it's ok.... So are these cars just badly over-rated or is there something else wrong?
Anyone have a Hydractive model in the York area so I can compare?
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Are the new spheres the exact right ones, are they genuine or not? My VSX hatch was ok, when I replaced the spheres I used genuine Citroen ones.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My vsx est is fine.Apart from some slow speed potholes,it rides ok.Had a new acc sphere & rear h/corrector recently,riding better than it ever has done in the past 2 1/2yrs i`ve had it.Got the floaty ride again now.Although it needs new spheres soon.The ride has got a little worse recently,due to my work,500m a week now.I still rides better than most cars i`ve been in,inc my dads new 406 hdi est.I`ve also uprated the tyres to 205/60/15 as aposed to the 185/65/15`s,but you certainly dont feel every bump/ripple in the road.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I took my estate to pleiades for a second opinion and was told to change the rear spheres. This I did, it improved the ride but not properly. I then changed the accumulator and rear central spheres. All is now back to where it should be.
Just a thought!
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

The spheres weren't genuine citroen, because I can't find anywhere that sells them, apart from my local dealer at £60 + vat each without fitting!
All spheres came from gsf and were new not reman. The rear height corrector isn't very old, it seized and was replaced a couple of years ago.
You guys have basically said what I thought. When I replaced the spheres it was great for 40 minutes. The next day it was as if nothing had changed. Weird...
But I'm just not prepared to spend any more money without a definitive diagnosis and as I say Pleiades say the spheres are ok. I didn't ask if they'd actually pressure tested them, but I presume they did.... Hmmmm Maybe I should ask.
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

I have a Xantia HDi Exclusive with the Hydractive 2 suspension; it too is a little harsh at low speeds over potholes. But i'm thinking the spheres could be getting tired even though the car is only 4 years old!! On the open road though it's still the classic "magic carpet ride!" My dad has a Xantia HDi SX estate (normal hydropneumatic) and that feels a little harsh over potholes too; but i'm thinking maybe this has something to do with the spheres fitted to estate models......i read somewhere that the spheres on estates have a slightly higher nitrogen pressure to cater for the load carrying ability of these models...don't quote me on that though.[;)] Having said all that, non Citroen people who ride in my car still comment on the "lovely comfortable ride" so the answer to your question is, "yes mate!!" your VSX is very good!![^][^][8D]
P.S. I am near Selby so i am in the York area.[^][:D]
Keep it hydro-Cit![^][:D]
Rich.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I've never driven a Hydractive Xantia but I have driven a Hydractive XM and I'll have to say it was awfull. Even with new correct spec spheres all round - cr@p, vowed never to own a Hydractive Cit.
If you want a softish ride, sell the Hydractive Estate, buy a non Hydractive and fit spheres for an early 1.8 car which will have slightly softer damping, you will be happy.
The reason non-Cit owning people are impressed with the ride quality in a Cit today is not because Cit ride quality is good but because everything else is worse than bad.
Mark
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Forgot to say - if anything an Estate should ride better than a hatch.
Mark
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
I find your posts quite strange. I have a '96 Xantia VSX, sure it isn't any DS or CX, but it does ride quite well. Maybe peoples expecatations are just to high ??
The VSX is bloody brilliant, when I purchased mine is was quite hard in the rear, since then I have found the rear H/A sphere was completely dead (ie: full of fluid) and the rear sphere's were down quite a bit.
The ride is quite good, nothing to rave about, but vastly better than the jap cars out here: ie: Magna's, Camrys etc...
I suggest you re-check your sphere's, it certainly wouldn't be impossible for one of your new spheres to have died not long after fitting.
The cars handle bloody brilliantly. I had a friend over the other day who owns a BX19tri, he was considering getting a Xantia and wanted my opinion. Which is "It's vastly better than a BX in most ways, but being an 8valve auto it's a gutless slug". I then took him for a drive around the rough twisty bit of road near my place and demonstrated how the VSX holds the road [:0] (it's fantastic !!).
BTW: I WOULD NOT fit non hydractive sphere to a hydractive model. If you have a look here you will see a hydractive suspension sphere:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/xantia ... pheres.htm
They are VERY different to a normal sphere.
seeya,
Shane L.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

A recent poster on the XM Yahoo list who owns 20+ Cits, says that a propery set-up H2 XM is at least as good as a CX (both of which he owns and runs)
rg
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I've got a '96 VSX Estate and when i got it it was awful. Changed all the spheres, all 8, and the ride improved. I then thought that the back end was a little high so checked it and it was, changed this and it made it smooth.
My tyres have also changed from the 185/65/15 to the 205/60/15. This didn't make much difference for the ride but made it grip a lot more.
I drive my car hard and it's never let go on a corner or roundabout. Mine handles better when i've got some tools in the boot (Drill, Drill case, etc) probably comes to about 50Kg. The brakes also work a lot better.
I've recently bought a 1.8I Xantia SX that is a nice floaty ride but doesn't take as much stick in corners as the VSX. I prefer the slight firmer ride in the VSX because it feels more positive.
I would have the height checked again, I couldn't find a site to list the height for mine, only one I could find was pre 96 which wasn't much use.
Ste
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Shane, the picture you refer to in the 'Aussie Frog' link is of the centre sphere, not a 'wheel' sphere. The difference in the size of the hole is; normal 1.1mm, Hydractive 0.6mm.
I have now owned 3 Hydractive Xantias, two hatches and one estate. On each one I have replaced the Hydractive spheres with 'normal' TD/2.0 spheres, this for me creates the ride I expect from a Citroen, particularly the highest spec version. Handling is not really affected at all because as soon as the car starts to roll the system switches to 'firm' thereby giving a 'standard' Xantia ride.
I got this idea originally from Martin at Pleiades when speaking to him on holiday in Crete a few years ago. I must say its the best modification I believe you could do to a Xantia, the ride on mine is superb.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
if you scroll down the page further ...
The valve is very, very different in the Hydractive suspension spheres. I'm not sure what impact fitting standard sphere's will have but personaly I think people that complain about a poor ride in comparison the the SX probably have a flat H/A sphere, or incorrect height settings. I think my VSX rides as well as the CX turbo, it isn't as good as a normal (non turbo) CX though.
My only real problem with the VSX suspension is it's VERY soft in the rear, I mean GS like soft. The problem is this appears to cause the arse end of the car to continualy move up & down and correct itself when your waiting at traffic lights.
Other than that, it is very good. A Xantia SX is basically just a BX underneath, so as you would expect would handle/ride more like a heavy BX (which doesn't mean it handles badly at all, infact a BX is a nimble car).
It only takes hitting the first round-about at speed in a VSX to know how good it is. Infact I think I'm going to take my wifes Xantia away from her. Last night she was telling me it goes through roundabouts even better if you just keep your foot down and accellerate hard into them as well as out of them. Bloody women she's going to get overconfident oneday.... Even Xantias have limits (all I can say if thank god I didn't get her a bloody activa). She's forever telling me how hoons in lowered V8 holdens can't keep up with her around corners like they used to in the BX [}:)][}:)][}:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
SHEMAR
My Cars:

Post by SHEMAR »

My VSX hatch-93L - 140,000miles, rides like a dream, rear spheres(outside 2) last about 40,000 miles, fronts last a little longer!. Tyres are important, only use Michelin for wear, adhesion and ride comfort and noise, have tried Pirelli/Avon/Dunlop none are near as good. Have Hydra-rincaged? once. Changed anti sink, and rear hydractive once plus front accumulator. All Spheres have been bought from GSF - usually in Citroen boxes. Pressure pump now beginning to get a little noisy, any suggestions anyone?
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Mseymour, the only thing i can think of is that the electovalves arent working. there is a radio frequency you should be able to tune in to to be able to see if they are doing anything.
As for ride quality the VSX is more controled than the BX and non HA xantias its ability to take out bumps large and small is exactly the same as the non HA xantia SX and LX. The activa is also the same if not better the mith behind the activas rough ride is that if the car has low or flat "activa spheres" then the ARB makes the car feel very stiff with the spheres in good condition the car efectivly has no role bar in strait driving and can manage much more intesive bumps than most citroens.