xantia smoking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickflan
My Cars:

xantia smoking

Post by mickflan »

hi all i have a xantia 1.9td on a 95 plate, i have just changed the glow plugs and i am still getting a big puff of white smoke when starting it cold anybody got any ideas ...........cheers mick
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Your xantia TD should start after 1 or 2 revolutions of the engine (after yellow light goes out), and run evenely at about 950 rpm until it warms up when the idle will drop to 750 rpm.
from what you say it strats a bit raggedly but is ok after that. Assuming your glowplugs are working (it would be difficult to start if they weren't) then the simple explanation is probably air getting into the fuel system. This gets into the injector feed, reduces the pressure and the cylinder misfires. Some fuel gets pushed through which doesn't ignite and is expelled as white smoke.
The only low pressure fuel pumps on these engines is the first stage of the injection pump so all the rest of the circuit is under vacuum and air gets in through the joints as they get old and slack. Have a good look for likely candidates (round the priming bulb?) and clip if necessary. In desperation you can always fit a piece of transparent hose in place of the last bit to the injection pump and see if there are bubbles there.
You can try using the priming bulb and see if that makes any difference - if it does - air leaks.
Other possible causes - bad injectors, failed fast idle unit or waxstat, incorrect valve clearances (may be 1.7 only?)
It would help if we knew the engine mileage, the rest of the behaviour of the engine - ie starting, general running) and the make of the pump (Bosch or Roto-Diesel)
JEREMY
mickflan
My Cars:

Post by mickflan »

hijeremy thanks for quick reply,the pump is a bosch the mileage is 115k i just put it through the mot and the tester said the emmisions was very very good for a car this age general running is fine no robs once it starts it it is fine.
i dont know if this as anything to do with it but every now and again a ight on the dash comes on with a little picture of like a old glass fuel filter (if you know what i mean)shows like its half full ive looked in my user manual and cant find what it is maybe this is part of the problem any help would be appreciated thanks ....mick
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wonder if this indicates water in the fuel? I think there is a drain on the bottom of the fuel filter with a pipe leading the surplus past the starter. The 1.9D ZX has something like this but no warning light that I've found.
Sorry - never sat in a Xantia!
jeremy
mickflan
My Cars:

Post by mickflan »

well i tried doing the drainage thingy now this light on the dash is coming on more often i need help before its too late..........mick
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My Xantia is the same from cold,though some mornings its fine.
How did you drain the filter?I found on mine that it didn`t work how it should in the manual(the one that came with the car)On mine,you unscrew the fitting with the pipe on it,then pump the primer a few times untill clean diesel flows.In my book,it says simply to unscrew the fitting & it will run out.
mickflan
My Cars:

Post by mickflan »

mmmm i did that and the engine stooped so i pumped the primer till a squirt of diesel came outscrewed it up and its was ok for about half an hour then that light came on again.............help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Maybe a iffy wire.I changed my filter at the weekend.Dead easy to do,costs peanuts.Pump a bit of fuel out first.Unscrew the 4 bolts(allen key OR torx)carefully lift the lid off,pull the filter out.You`ll spill a bit of fuel so use a rag.Put the new one in,a bit of thread lock on the bolts,screw back in.DONT over tighten.Then pump the primer till it goes hard(ooh ar misses!)Then see if that cures it.If the light still comes on,it must be iffy.Check the wires,maybe a bit of WD40.I haven`t got a light on mine and its top of the range.I had some dash bulbs done last year,the garage said it didn`t have a light.I`ll check for wires in the morning,let you know.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

That water in fuel light is a bit of a nuisance. I think the sensor may be a bit dodgy - on mine, even after several drains and a new fuel filter it was still coming on - and there wasn't a drop of water in the system. I just ignore it now.
Stu.
mickflan
My Cars:

Post by mickflan »

ok thanks to you all gonna change the filter and hope it stops otherwise im gonna disconnect it thanks again ...........mick