Alloy Wheels - bolt problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markallinson
My Cars:

Alloy Wheels - bolt problem

Post by markallinson »

I've just bought a set of pug 206 gti wheels, 16" 205 tyres. Fit nicely on my Xsara BUT my wheel bolts are not long enough! Anybody had this problem, I need longer bolts but none of the local motor factors don't have an answer for me. I'm guessing they are M12, and the threads look about 30mm long, but only a few mm is biting after I have fitted the obligatory 5mm shims (to clear the arches).
Any suggestions?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If they are normal 60 degree seated bolts, try www.trackstore.co.uk
Their website appears to be down at the moment, though...
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Forget Trackstore, they are ignorant as flip, i sent them loads of emails about near enough the excat same thing for my AX & got one email back then nothing after they discovered it wouldnt be easy.. LOADS OF BOBBINS!!!!! wouldnt reccomend them.[:0]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Pop down the newsagent,have a look for a performance mag,revs,max power etc,have a look at the adverts for wheel/tyre places.One of them can proberly supply the correct set/length.Mail order as well.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I just ordered the exact part number I required having done the leg work myself; I guess they're not too hot on specifics...
Perhaps they're only part number people...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Peugeot and Citroen alloys use a flat seat not a cone or taper. The proper bolt has a formed washer on the head, a thick captive washer, an upper diameter of about 12.5 mm dropping to about 11.75mm on the outside of the thread. From the base of the captive washer to the end of the thread is about 42 mm and the thread is 1.25mm pitch. There is a bolt which is commonly sold as suitable (substitute) which has a loose washer and with the washer fitted the end of the thread is about 35 mm from the washer. This bolt has a neck of about 12.7mm.
I know this as I have a set of genuine alloys I intend to fit soon but have the bolt problem. From what I was told the substitute bolt is marginal on thread length and I'm hesitating as I must work out how thick the hub is etc.
From the sound of it you need the genuine bolts.
Can someone tell me how many turns is considered safe for this size of bolt?
Jeremy
Kered

Post by Kered »

Jeremy
I beg to differ over your comment that Citroen alloys do not use a cone or taper. My previous Xantia VSX had the usual tapered seats on the bolts - from new. Perhaps it's to do with the spare being made of steel and the bolts fit both.
Derek
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Xantia has Alloy wheels and a steel spare, the steel spare has some sort of special inserts so that it can be used with the bolts with flat washers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Certainly 205, BX, 405 etc use the flat type bolts and as Kowalski says the spares are special with adaptors used to enable the same bolts to be used.
Newer cars may use different bolts - I have seen them advertised on E-bay. They looked much the same as the others but may well have had cone seats. At least if this is the case i can spot the difference easily!
jeremy
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

"I beg to differ over your comment that Citroen alloys do not use a cone or taper. My previous Xantia VSX had the usual tapered seats on the bolts - from new. Perhaps it's to do with the spare being made of steel and the bolts fit both" Quote by Derek
I had some of those bolts when I was supplied with some new 306 alloy wheels, The Peugeot dealer said they where PDI ( Pre Delivery Inspection ) bolts & that customers SHOULDNT have them fitted on there cars!
The PDI bolts fitted the wheels perfect too, But you are ment to use the alloy bolts with the flat washer.
Kered

Post by Kered »

Strange?
Why would Citroen go to the bother of fitting the cars with the wrong type of bolts only for them to be replaced at the PDI? Also if it was going to cause damage to the alloys then why would they want to fit the wrong bolts in the first place?
It was Citroen serviced (was a fleet car) and there was no comment from that quarter and they obviously removed the wheels to change the brake pads.
Further, the locking wheel nuts were also tapered!
I ran it for 9 years and had no problems at all with the alloys.
Derek
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Citroen alloys have locking nuts with flat washers, the alloys have flat seats on them and can't take tapered nuts i.e. there is no taper.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

The sleeve-looking Citroen ones on ebay at the moment are not the same as 205 GTi ones, but seem to fit the new style sleeve-bolt alloys. The Xantia VSX ones are definately normal steel insert taper fitting ones, as used by most manufacturers. It's only wheel without steel inserts which need sleeve-type bolts (of which there are many flavours...)
Back to your original problem; assuming they are the same fitting (they might appear to tighten up, but won't necessarily be retaining the wheel correctly), then if they're stock taper ones, a variety of lengths is available. If they're sleeve-type bolts, I think you might be in trouble if you're using spacers.
Last resort; I believe there are bolt to stud conversions available for some types; the studs will come in a number of different sizes/lengths whereas the nuts remain constant. Worth trying for some of these and specify longer studs by 5/10mm?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

be careful - there is the widened neck on the bolts that is there for a purpose - ie the holes in the wheels are larger than the diameter of the thread and the holes in the hub.
jeremy
markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

All sorted now, I went to the local scrap yard and got some bolts of various Peugeots, flat washer type. Sorted. Think this has to be the best way to get them as the Main Dealer is a rip off!