Any difference in fans for new and old Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MrXantia
My Cars:

Any difference in fans for new and old Xantia?

Post by MrXantia »

Hi,
I need to change the coolerfans in my Xantia2 1.8 16V but all I can get my hand on are some used fans from an older model. I wonder if there is any difference between them or they are all the same.
/Lars
volcaneoptimist
My Cars:

Post by volcaneoptimist »

As long as the socket attached to the fan motor can fit into the plug, I don't think you should be unduly concerned. Some ZX and Xantia owners here have even converted their cooling fan to Taiwan brand as these are cheaper but much quieter and more efficient. The only trouble is the plug/sockets need to be modified. Good Luck[:o)]
volcaneoptimist
My Cars:

Oh! forgot to mention that similar to ZX 16v, your xantia cooling fan can be serviced. Normally the fan 'kaput' because the carbon brush has worn out. The following are simple steps for replacement of the carbon brush:
1. Dismantle the aircon fan blade using a suitable screw driver( loosen in clockwise direction)
2. Unbolting the three bolts holding the fan motor(can be quite a tedious and tricky job unless you have a suitable box spanner
3. Unlatch or open up the back cover of the fan motor using suitable tools(such as a chisel, screw driver, plier, hammer, etc)
4. Remove the carbon brushes wiring using a soldering iron and replace with new ones
5. Easy part is clearing away the cabon deposit
6. Refitting the carbon brush into the solenoid require a bit of skill
7. Putting back the back cover and ensuring that it hold and stay in place require some skill with a chisel and hammer.
8. Installation of the fan motor and blade is the end of the road
It is quite a simple task but require some skills and a lot of patience/confidence.
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Thanks Volcane. What would I look for when I go purchase the brushes? What kind of info do I need?.
Meanwhile I just bought a used complete rack from the exact same model. Cost me only £81 :)
Now I can change the lot easy and renovate the old fans in good time when the "new" ones sieze working in half a year.
/Lars
volcaneoptimist
My Cars:

I source the carbon brushes directly from a shop in KL that specialize in ready made carbon of all sorts( few thousand different types). All I did was to let them match my old carbon and that simple. Each carbon only cost about 50 pence. If you can't source it locally, just email me at lfmfrancis@yahoo.co.uk and I will provide my mailing address for you to send a sample so that I can get them for you here. Alternatively, take a snapshot of the dismantled motor with the carbon brush and email to me so I know if they matched mine. Until then.