Xantia suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

Xantia suspension

Post by louis1 »

Hi
First of all when I go over speed humps the car makes a clonking sound from the front wheel area, the sound is like an exhaust hitting the underside of the car but I have checked that and it is all ok.
Secondly if I put the car on high and then on normal the car goes to normal height and then jerks up and then settles to normal again.
Also if I put the car on low then on normal the car takes 2 to 3 minutes to rise.
I have had the fluid changed a couple of months ago by Citroen, and have been back since to complain each time they have checked it and assured me that there is nothing wrong.
Thanks Louis
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Check the drop links for the source of the suspension noise.
My recent experience of a xantia doing a dance like this was down the partial seizure of the height corrector slide valve its self, and not as is usual, the controling linkage.
I worked it about some until it moved a bit better, though not perfect it did stop it dancing, next time it will have to be replaced.
What happens is, the springs of the linkage exhert pressure on the valve as is normal, but because the valve didn't move freely it, suddenly gave as spring pressure increased during body movement, this knocked the valve way past its ideal position and it then went into the opposit phase, doing the same again in the other direction but each time a bit less severe until it finaly settled.
Wether hydractive alone can cause similar symptoms I'm not sure, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Dave
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Where are the drop down links and how do i check them. Also i was told that the front spheres could cause that noise is this true?
Thanks Louis
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The drop links fit between the anti-roll bar and the suspension leg.
The spheres in themselves can't make that kind of noise - they only provide the "springing" in the suspension, however, empty spheres will make the suspension rock hard, and then it will certainly make nocking noises going over any irregularities.
//NiSk