Xantia central locking going haywire

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kickingtyres
My Cars:

Xantia central locking going haywire

Post by kickingtyres »

Hi people.
Ive got a P reg Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate.
Ive been having problems with the central locking on and off for about a year now.
It Manifests itself by eithyer immediately unlocking itself when you Lock it using the remote (or even the key in the drivers door sometimes), or unlocking itself when you Deadlock it. At the moment, I have to lock it using the key in the passenger's door, and I can'rt deadlock it. It Also occasionally locks itself whil driving.
I've also noticed the indicators don't flash when deadlocking or unlocking it.
About January, I put it into Citroen Glasgow (as it was supposed to be under warranty, but Wiring isn't covered) and they told me that a leak somewhere in the bulkhead had led to the corrosion of some connectors, meaning there was poor connctions or shorting of wires leading to the drivers door.
They allegedly replaced the connectors and sealed the leak. All was well for a few weeks, indicators flashing when locking/unlocking all symptoms had gone. It's started doing it again.
Has anyone else had this problem, and is it indeed likely that it's a leak causing shorting/corrosion of connectors on the wires controlling the central locking?
I'm a tad fed up, as it's a helluva alot harder to work on the Xantia than the BX I used to have, so I'm finding it hard to even know where to start looking...
Thanks for any light that can be shed, or help that can be offered.
Cheers
andrew
www.kickingtyres.com
www.netpaw.com
www.whatyougot.com

Post by avatar »

I experienced a similar problem. After checking and lubricating everything I could think of Door alignment, striking plate, locks etc the solution turned out to be a replacement drivers door lock. This was on a L reg SX TD rp 6170. If this happens to you the electrics are tricky as the new lock had a differnt plug to the original and sourcing a wiring diagram was very difficult if not impossible had to resort to tracing each connection with a probe.
Good luck
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by avatar</i>

I experienced a similar problem. After checking and lubricating everything I could think of Door alignment, striking plate, locks etc the solution turned out to be a replacement drivers door lock. This was on a L reg SX TD rp 6170. If this happens to you the electrics are tricky as the new lock had a differnt plug to the original and sourcing a wiring diagram was very difficult if not impossible had to resort to tracing each connection with a probe.
Good luck
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Now that's interesting - very similar to our BX symptoms. I know it's a few years, but how did you trace the problem to the driver's door lock? Ours doesn't lock the drivers or RH rear door although I reckon I can hear things banging inside!
Cheers
JohnW
paulstow
My Cars:

Post by paulstow »

I've heard about problems with connectors, but on mine it turned out to be a mechanical problem in that the motor didn't always manage to properly lock the door. I took of the interior trim, got everything apart, sprayed liberally with WD40 to free things up and then applied a few drops of gear oil for longer lasting effect.
So far so good after 3 months or so.......
Cheers - Jez
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Have a look at the connector on the front passenger door lock. I had the problem myself and found out that the connector for the harness wasn't fully home and, the bar that fits to the door card for the interior lock button was giving resistance therefore making the lock 'bounce' back open. I sorted it out by not connecting the bar to the button.
Paul
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

If you can lock the doors using the key in lock A but not lock B, then it is probably lock A which is faulty. This was the case on my Xantia.
Note that there are at least 2 makes of lock (Kierkert and Bendix), that look slightly different but are interchangable (including connector).
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Have mentioned this one before... have a persistent on-off-on-off-on etc. problem with the locking on the ZX (TDsx, R reg) not the Xantia.... BUT even eventually fitting a new main control mechanism has not cured it --- sure it made occurrences of the central locking triggering itself less frequent, but it still goes wrong again, notably over some cambers or in the rain, and sometimes self-locking with merely a gentle nudge on the side of the parked car..... all of which does now indicate that a connector block (most likely at the driver's door) is almost certainly to blame.
Reckon the same could apply re Xantia.