Oh no,...not another bouncy bouncy Xantia!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigpete
My Cars:

Oh no,...not another bouncy bouncy Xantia!

Post by bigpete »

Evenin’ all. Just a quickie. I've got a Xantia with some spine destroying rear bounce! The car goes up and down without any hassle and the symptoms are regular clicking coming from the front of the engine and a ridiculous amount of bounce at the back. I've done a bit of a search on the forum and think that the accumulator sphere needs at least changing. What with spheres being a snap at £20ish from GSF, would it be a prudent move to replace all 3 spheres while I’m at it…assuming they come off easily enough?!! Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Pete
big_lorry
My Cars:

Post by big_lorry »

Done this job just recently, had the same symtoms.
I replaced the two rear sphear's and no more bouncing. Although sometimes the rear takes it's time rising.
Look in the common fixes section for instructions.
I used a u shaped screwed rod round the sphere and through a bar for removal, worked a treat.
Good luck.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Your problem is the rear spheres have ruptured. I think you will find that you can't compress the rear suspension by pressing on the rear bumper when the engine's running and the car is at normal height.
jeremy
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

I'll have a jump around in the boot tomorrow with the engine running and see what happens. My friends say it’s bad for your health to be big and heavy but I still say it has its advantages. Testing Xantia suspension can be added to the list of benefits! If I have a wee gander at the rear spheres, are there any tell tale signs that they are definitely dead that I should be looking out for?
Pete
P.S Cheers for the sphere removal advice big_lorry, I'll add it to the possible ways to attack em. Building up quite a list...some more sensible than others!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Pete
Spheres show no visible signs of failure - if the back end cannot be bounced, then one or both is faulty. Replace as a pair.
The clicking is probably the accumulator sphere. Might be an idea to check the fronts as well - should be more springy than the back.
Fronts and accumulator need replacing every 3 years or so, rears every 5 or so. Even if car has not moved!
PS How clean is your LHM - if spheres have been neglected, this may have been as well [:(]