floaty front

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

floaty front

Post by np »

My early morning commute involves a deserted(private mr officer[:D]) motorway.When doing between 80-100mph[}:)],the front seems very light.Very floaty.
I have checked tyre pressures,bushes,suspension etc,all ok.This insn`t a problem below 80mph,& some days its ok.General ride and height fine.
Anyone have any suggestions?Apart from sticking to 70mph!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Rough guess is that the hydractive suspension is staying in fully soft mode for some reason; it should get gradually harder the faster you get. Perhaps one of the sensors which kicks it into soft mode is overridng something, or the speed sensor is misbehaving?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ll stick it on hard in the morning,see if that makes any difference.Will be away this w/end,so will post sunday.Thanks
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The Hydractive suspension on a Xantia has only two modes, soft/firm. It is always on the soft mode unless under harsh braking, steering, acceleration, cornering or the suspension is caused to move sharply up/down by way of a undulating road surface.
When the sports switch is activated all you are doing is narrowing the parameters at which point this switch from soft to firm takes place.
So, if you are cruising at high speed in a straight line, switching to sports mode will only have an effect if you were to travel over a undulating road surface.
If the Hydractive suspension has a defect, it switches to firm mode.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Could it be air in the system?
Check the suction hose to the hydraulic pump and your reservoir level.