Can a car fail a MOT for an oil leak ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul Thomas
My Cars:

Can a car fail a MOT for an oil leak ?

Post by Paul Thomas »

I have a oil leak which is hopefully going to be identified by the garage today when they do the MOT.
Is a car a failure for having an oil leak ?
Certainly lookin at the http://www.motuk.co.uk/ web site it doesn't mention the engine or oil leaks at all.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yes, a heavy oil leak will fail the MOT (danger to other road users), but most garages will just draw your attention to it.
//NiSk
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

dependant on where the oil leak is, and how bad it is, makes the difference on wether or not it will fail.My Xantia has had an oil leak since I got it, not bad, more of a weap really, no problem with MOT, just rustproofing where it touches.
Paul
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have been told by my MOT Tester that if he sees it dripping its a fail, if its just oily then thats ok, I would advise wiping off as much as possible before the test.
Stewart
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Surely if it can be seen to drip then the lea kis fairly serious & should be seen to anyhow?
jarmeez

Post by jarmeez »

according to the m.o.t tester manual the oil leak should be no more than 7.5cm in diameter in a time period of 5 mins!! then again if it was leaking that bad you would probably want it fixed anyway.
this only applies to engine,g/box, diff etc not power steering or brake brake fluid, any leaks from them and its instant fail!!!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

When the old BX went for its test (with a split Octopus pipe - we know how much LHM they leak), he advised me about it. I told him what it was and that i'll get it sorted shortly, and no problem.
He did ask me when; I played daft and claimed "Citroen back order" - I think his comment was "just before the next MoT, then??!" Naturally it was already on order from AS...
markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

Well some MOT testers will refuse to do the emissions test if there are signs of an oil leak near the cam / crank oil seals, in case the timing belt goes/ slips etc. As far as I can remember there is a permission check box on the emissions cetificate to verify the owners has consented to them reving the nuts of it.
My Xsara leaks a bit of oil, and I was OK, clean it up go for it.
Now I really must order some oil seals....