xantia sphere numbers no trace so far!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

heath robinson

xantia sphere numbers no trace so far!!!!

Post by heath robinson »

i am heading for my first go at xantia diy and spheres this weekend; the front bounces like it has no shocks and the back much too firm like its over shocked.
(i'm still puzzled as to how failing spheres can produce such contrasting symptoms)
i'm intrigued; my front spheres have the following citroen numbers which i cant find in the forum or the gsf listings; 96178589 DL
i would be dead interested if anyone has an idea what they are from
regards
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

andyspares has different part numbers to the manufacurers (obviously)
the spheres you need are N45332 on the front and N45366 on the back. order through the links on the home page. you can also download the catalogue there.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

The most complete Xantia sphere list I have found is at:
http://www.citroenbilten.com/forum/view ... p?tid=1402
(about 3/4 down the page). It lists this sphere for a 2.0 petrol non-hydroactive to 1996.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

the spheres that go on the 1.9td are the same pressure as the ones that go on the 2.0 petrol.
cycaduk
My Cars:

Post by cycaduk »

Just a twopenneth worth. I used to drive Bx's and found that if the rear spheres went, the trailing arm bearings died pretty soon after. I think this was because when the rear spheres failed on the BX there was no movement on the suspension system. A proper citroen expert may comment on that; I have heard that the xantia bearings are much stronger, but they may still go.
heath robinson

Post by heath robinson »

hi thanks for your research; good of you
i had hoped the wrong spheres were on the front and this might allow me to solve the puzzle of how failing spheres can produce such contrasting symptoms.
looks like the job may be off for the weekend as gsf don't stock the tool. anyone know if cit main dealers sell them? trying to work out how to improvise; not happy about hitting the things
let's hope the rear bearings aren't next. this is fast looking like the worst buy xantia for a while!!!
regards
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

Two possibilities for a sphere removal tool:
(1) contact Pleiades - theyre on the net - their tool costs about £40;
(2) make up your own tool: buy a 2 or 3-foot length of threaded rod, find a bit of metal plate approx. length diameter of a sphere plus a bit more, drill 2 holes one at each end so that rod will pass through, find 2 nuts to fit the rod, bend rod carefully into U-shape. Fit rod round the sphere, tighten plate up the rod tight against sphere ... bingo!
HTH
heath robinson

Post by heath robinson »

hi, spheres changed; thanks all
for an update please see
'Xantia pulse sensation through seats'
(sorry I'm still finding my way on the forum operation[:I])
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by heath robinson</i>

i am heading for my first go at xantia diy and spheres this weekend; the front bounces like it has no shocks and the back much too firm like its over shocked.
(i'm still puzzled as to how failing spheres can produce such contrasting symptoms)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
When the spheres fail completely you effectively have rock solid suspension. It would be the equivalent of replacing springs with iron rods. The result is the car bounces on the tyres (the only part with any spring), which obviously have no damping. It's the gas in the sphere which acts as a spring. The fluid entering and leaving provides the damping.