xm model identification

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chopper666
My Cars:

xm model identification

Post by chopper666 »

this may seem a bit on the dim side but i'm not 100% sure what type of xm i own, the 2.0 carb or 2.0 inj. car is a 92 on a J plate. I am not technically minded enough to be able to look at the engine & know or anything like that, but there seems to be conflicting info in my history file.(had the car about two weeks)
the v5 documentation says XM I
service documentation print outs from garages say xm carb, but some say XM I.
however on service papers from the same garage some say carb , some say i. is it just a matter of details not being entered correctly on garage computers when worked on?
should the V5 be the document i believe in & i own a 2.0 XM I?
also when looking for spares ie brake pads would i be regarded as a up to '91 car or '92 onwards? (pricing up parts on the net)
thanks for any help.[8]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I doubt the "I" on the v5 document has anything to do with the engine being carb'ed or injected.
Rather I think it may refer to the model series 1 (one) as being the first model/type XM.
If you're not technical minded, it's a bit hard to help you here, as you'd have to make some visual technical checks to be sure.
Either you HAVE to get technical minded in a hurry - or you'll remember this XM as the most expensive garage car you've ever owned.
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

if you give me some pointers i may be able to determine what model i have?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Tip 1) does it have a rear spoiler? most of the series 1 122hk (multi point injection) XM's had one (doesn't mean that some previous owner hasn't modified it of course).
Tip 2) can you see if there are 4 indiviual injectors, with separate, thin pipes to each one? (rather than the single point "carb" injection).
//NiSk
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

yes the car has a spoiler. I dont think it has been an after market addition, feel it was on when car was new, as for the other bits, i will get back to you when i have had a look. thanks for the help![8]
William

Post by William »

I you have the original manual or can get hold of a Haynes manual you should be able to make a visual identification from the examples shown.
I'm sure there must be some photos or diagrams on the net somewhere.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

On series 1 cars, the 122 hp version had a distinct wing on the boot lid, supported by two uprights. The series 2 just had a slightly raised lip instead. So it looks like your car is a multi-point injection version.
//NiSk
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

thanks for the help, i think is is injection model, has the wing/ spoiler on the rear, on insurane on line quotes sites i put in the reg and comes up as XM I
other options are XM which i think must be the carb model.[8]
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

its the injection[8]