Replaced rear spheres... now front ones iffy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WildWayz
My Cars:

Replaced rear spheres... now front ones iffy

Post by WildWayz »

Last monday, I had the rear spheres replaced on my M Reg Xantia, and I noticed when driving the next day that the front doesnt seem as smooth. Well, thursday night I had the stop and hydaulics lights appear, so i topped up the hydraulics with LHM Plus as advised in the manual (raising suspension and filling it until the yellow disc was between the red lines).
On saturday the ride was REALLY bouncy at the front. I checked the spheres and they arent really rusted (a little on them). Could they have gone now too? Or when the backs were changed, do they need re-calibrating?
Thanks
James
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

I had the same problem recently with the front end being bouncy so after a lot of brilliant advice from people on this site I changed the sphere's myself. It's really easy I changed all 3 front sphere's in about 2 hour's. Now I know what to do I would say it could be done in under 1 hour. Also all 3 sphere's cost less than £70 possibly less than £65 I can't remember. Hope this help's. Please wait for a more knowledgeable member to confirm this before going ahead and doing anything though.
WildWayz
My Cars:

Post by WildWayz »

3 spheres in the front? I only saw 2 under the bonnet
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

One in front of engine/gearbox best accessed from underneath, not as hard as it sounds[:D]
WildWayz
My Cars:

Post by WildWayz »

okie dokie - so best change all 3? If so, i'll get my friend who's a mechanic to change them (I don't have the tools for it).
Thanks peeps :)
James
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The one in front of the engine is the accumulator sphere, not specifically connected to teh front suspension.
If it was a VSX/Exclusive it would have a 3rd sphere behind the engine for the hydractive system.
In your case you probably only need the two.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

James
Can you push the front of the car down a fair way when engine is running? If not, you need spheres. Rust makes no difference at all - they fail because the compressed nitrogen has lost its pressure or the diaphragm has ruptured.
'Recalibrating'? What have they been telling you? [:(]
They are very easy to change - you do not really need any special tools, just a hammer and chisel if you are stuck. Buy from GSF
Also, if the fronts need changing, so, probably will the accumulator, mounted near the front of the engine. If it does, you will hear the regulator clicking every couple of seconds
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Phew I was right. The only reason I said about the 3rd "Accumulator" sphere is that it's only £18 from GSF so you might as well do all 3.
Let us know the result if/when you get them done.
WildWayz
My Cars:

Post by WildWayz »

Fronts were replaced and all is smooth again :D