Diesel Cutting Out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Diesel Cutting Out

Post by rory_perrett »

1994 Xantia 1.9TD, 115k miles. Has started cutting out on the odd occasion. Seems to occur after descending a hill in gear using engine breaking. When you put the clutch down the engine stalls. No problem restarting either by letting the clutch in or on the starter. Anyone any similar experiences or suggestions? At the moment it is not really a problem as it happens so infrequently, but I suspect it is going to get worse and become annoying.
Rory
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Could be air getting into the fuel pipes somewhere, I had a similar problem with a BX diesel which would often stall when coasting to a stop at the end of slip roads after a long motorway run. On the BX it was the fuel heater letting air bubbles into the diesel, which slowly filled the filter with air. When the engine speed dropped this air was sucked into the injector pump, causing the engine to stall.
Nick
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

All OK with the idle speed adjustment? not come loose or wound back with engine vibration?
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Stuart
Interesting you should mention the idle adjustment. My initial reaction would be to say its fine. Tick over is OK and this cutting out has only occured four or five times over the last 3 months. However we've had the car about 2 1/2 years and when we first got it it did tick over quite fast around 1100 - 1200rpm. While I wondered why (there usually a reason) I just adjusted it down and since everything was OK I didn't really give it much more thought. I know its probably only covering up the problem but I may try tweeking it back up a bit.
Rory
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm not au fait with my Xantia pump as yet but my AX's lucas pump has a screw setting for anti-stall. Is it possible this is the problem? I'd tend to suspect a pump setting if it seems to run fine in all other circumstances. Does it cut out if you rev the engine and then let the revs drop to idle?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

just check to make sure that your fuel tank is venting ok and not getting a vacuum.My old petrol had the same problem and when I released the fuel cap (screw type,like the xantia) in inhaled fresh air. Just give it a try, never know it may work.
Paul
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.
Dave - if you rev the engine and then let it drop to idle its fine.
Paul - Will have a look at that one.
Regards
Rory
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Have a look inside the fuel filter too, I have had those symptoms when attempting to run BX on rainwater!
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

One further possibility you could check is whether the physical movement of the clutch pedal, arm, cable (both inner and outer), etc, is causing the temporary disturbance of any electrical connections; it could be that the movement of any of these things is disturbing the stop solenoid wiring or immobiliser circuits temporarily. Going down hill could cause the loom to shift slightly in position, contact is made, and a short occurs.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Speaking of running a BX on rainwater, the BX fuel filling flap looks like it might be a potential weak point for water ingress into the tank. Is this an issue one should watch out for?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

have you checked if the fuel filter is fitted tightly? maybe if its not, when your going downhill it may be breathing fresh air???
cycaduk
My Cars:

Post by cycaduk »

Hi, I used to have a Singer Vogue, many years ago. It did this just before the clutch thrust bearing disintegrated. Check the revs when you depress the clutch. if they drop a bit when its depressed, it is a sign of wear.