Xantia VSX Suspension quirks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Xantia VSX Suspension quirks

Post by alan s »

As I have never before sat let alone driven a Xantia, I'm having problems getting my head around the suspension set up.
Having the hydractive 2 arrangement and being used to CXs and BXs there seems to be a big difference of the comparative feel.
With a CX and even a BX there is usually not all that much downward pressure required to get the front to go up & down when the car is stationary and engine running. On the Xantia, it feels like pushing down the front on a truck. Checking the spheres we found the pressure spot on in the two front suspension spheres. The rear is a little softer but not all that much.
Is this how they are? It seems to be comfortable but rides more like a tin spring thing than a hydra Citroen. Is this firmish feel when stationary the active part of the suspension preventing the dipping and also, how much difference should there be between sports and normal setting on the suspension? I can hardly notice it apart from when I tow the boat and the rear started to dance in normal mode but that seemed to reduce on sports setting.
Alan S
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Xantias are much "harder" that Cits of old; the VSX even more so. The Activa is more so still! The difference between Hard and Soft isn't always noticable on HA2 cars (unlike the HA1 on the XM which was on or off). Given that opening the door puts it into hard (I think) and it doesn't go back to soft for about 30 seconds whilst stationary, it could give some strange feelings! It goes into hard so you don't have the car coming back up at you as you get out, or dropping away when you get in..
I find mine a better drive with it in "Sport" mode, i.e. the firm mode kicks in sooner, but is still gradual. I have now learnt how to go round corners starting in soft and get the hard mode to "kick in"..at which point you'd swear its found either another 100mm of tyre tread, or a set of rails...
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The only real difference is the sport setting.My vsx takes more effort on front than on back.But rides fine.By pressing the button in mine,it firms up slightly,with a bit less roll,though not as good as a Activa.When towing our 1300kg caravan,by pressing the button,we have the same as you.It firms the back end up,hence less bounce.I think the Xantia`s were a bit harder than the BX`s,same as the C5,harder than the Xantia.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

With engine off - after a certain delay - the HA suspension reverts to it's default mode : hard suspension.
This is when the center spheres are disconnected.
If the engine is running, and car parked, the suspension should be in soft mode, with the center spheres connected. In this mode the Xantia should not feel different from CX/BX when testing the usual way.
If it still feels like a truck, you may have either a flat center sphere or the dreaded binding front struts problem - cured by manually greasing up the struts.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Alan
My 1.9TD SX (non HA) felt just like this when I bough it, also felt a little bouncy when driven so I had fitted a new sphere at each corner. They were genuine Cit spheres for the TD and the result was that the bounce was gone when driven but the ride was very firm. The push down test revealed a car that was very difficult to push down front or rear with only a little travel possible. Got fed up with the non-cit like ride and replaced the expensive spheres with cheapo recon units from AS for the NON Turbo cars, what a difference. Noticably softer ride and much more travel front and rear when pushed down. Still running on these spheres and ride quality still good. As an experiment I have also tried running with large volume BX spheres on the front and the result was no improvement in comfort but big increase in body roll.
Mark
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Alan,
You did check the front centre sphere as well, didn't you.....[:o)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

Alan,
You did check the front centre sphere as well, didn't you.....[:o)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The car has a service history (in every 10,000klms to a dealer/service agent) and I received news tonight that the service records are in the mail so hopefully then I'll have a datum point from which to work.
Alan S