Xantia foglight

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fab1975
My Cars:

Xantia foglight

Post by fab1975 »

Hi everybody,
I wonder if anyone could help me with an apparently simple problem: yesterday I was doing 70 Mph on the M56 with my W reg. Xantia 2.0 Hdi when a small stone - I guess - hit the front right foglight. Bingo! Now I have a still perfectly working foglight but the glass has completely gone. I am already looking for a replacement unit, but it looks like changing it by myself on my Xantia is not an easy job; unfortunately the Haynes manual does not cover the post-facelift models and the owner's handbook says "refer to your Citroen dealer" which is not very helpful.
Could please anyone tell me if there is a way to replace the foglight without removing the whole bumper or in alternative suggest me an idea to replace only the glass leaving the old foglight as it is now?
Thank you very much in advance!
Fab
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Welcome.Have a look at the Handy Hints & Tips forum.Aparently you can just remove the headlight & reach down to them.
Page 1,Facelift foglights.
fab1975
My Cars:

Post by fab1975 »

Thank you very much indeed! I could not hope in a better and quicker answer :-)))
I am going to try tomorrow and then I will buy the new foglight. Do you have any idea of the market price of a used foglight? I can get a new one for about £ 49.00, but I hope to find something cheaper where I can fit my semi-new bulb.
Thank you again!
Fab
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

If you can find 1,proberly about half price of a new 1.Have a look in a news agent for Car Machanics Magazine.Theres a Cit/Pug breaker that advertises in the back & does mail order.Or do a search on the net.Gsf do it for about £45+vat.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Doesn't seem much point since foglights would now seem to have (effectively) been banned.
Who would risk them even in the drifting fogbanks we often get?
Which is a real pissoff, since me and my other half must frequently travel more than a hundred miles overnight or at early dawn or late dusk, some of it on country roads where there are a lot of rabbits and badgers (plus voles, mice and cats) as potential roadkill.... unless you use the foglamps on the ZX which give a much better light over to the verge than the dipped or even main beams and so we have not hit anything yet.
Perhaps other people are less fussy about it, but we do not like splatting little furrys.
I've never yet been blinded or even discomforted by anyone's foglamps. Imho, it's just money grubbing Stazi bull**** their claim that such lights make distances or closing-speed harder to judge. But, whether driving or alongside, I have often cursed the small round high intensity headlights that are on some recent cars.... the ones that seem to bob up and down and change spectrum as they do so.
They, not foglights, should have been clobbered.
(apologies.... rant over now!)
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I to agree with all the above.The H/I lights are a problem.I have put 100w bulbs in my seperate main beam lights on my Xantia.Improved the main beam a lot.By putting on the front fogs aswell you do get a better width of light.Although best to turn them off when you meet another car,as they blind(LOL!)I thought that was the point in having them,so they put all the light in front at a short distance,hence not dazzeling oncoming traffic.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

fab1975,
there are lots of Xantias in the scrapyards in bolton on Waterloo St. You should pick one up for a fiver..
Paul
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yes!!!!!
I want foglights banned here ... as soon a possible Image Image Image
Most new cars sold out here are sold with incredibly intense foglights, they are as bad as driving into high beam. Even worst is the w@nkers that own the cars drive with them on 24hours a day, no matter high light/clear the conditions are.
I've specially setup my foglights with relays, new lenses and globes, they are aimed as well as all the d!ckheads out there (ie: they light up tree tops when switched on). I use them all the time, infact whenever I have a @sshole come toward me with bright foglights on.
Do you get the d!ckheads in 4wds with foglights at eye level as well ?? It's got to the stage where I'm perfectly happy to chuck my lights on high beam with the foglights (ie: 310watts of light) and happily blind all @ssholes that drive around with those pointless bloody w@nker lights on.
seeya,
Shane L.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

But are these really foglights, or some kind of auxilliary driving light being wrongly called that?
Properly aligned fogs (of a type and location like on a ZX) don't dazzle. They are a safety asset, not the opposite. And in any case, why not penalise any aimed too high rather than effectively banning all?
Like I already said, by the same allegation made at foglamps they could more logically ban some of the new design of headlights altogether.... but they won't, of course.
And what about the high level brake lights (not meaning the shelf or above-hatch arrays) on some cars now.... higher than on an HGV, bright, straight into your eyes and yet at the same time oddly hard to notice.
Inconsistency, I think.... yet hardly surprising under an ever more surreal system where the police themselves are on a cut of the profits, and judges/sheriffs etc. are instructed from the top that they must not use "common sense" any more.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

No, there not 'driving' lights, they are factory fitted fog lights. To make matters worse all w@nker wannabe's fit intensly bright poorly aimed foglights to there older cars.
Fog lights DO NOT help you see, they only light up several meters in front of the car, by the time anything is illuminated by them ... It's wwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to late to avoid it.
They are basically a w@nk that only d!ckheads use. Of course I wouldn't mind if they were only used when there is fog.
seeya,
Shane L.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Depends on things like how fast you're going, degree of attention and reaction speed; and if it's indeed only a few meters in front of the car the beam goes, then unless severely misaligned how could they dazzle anyone else anyway?
Being in Australia you may not have seen that in Britain a woman got done for actually using them in fog.... a typical scenario is drifts of fog that can be thick but then a short gap of near clear but then suddenly a fogbank again. It can change quite suddenly, so to be constantly switching the foglights off and on would not be a good idea.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I seem to have missed all this? [:I] when-why-by whom have fogs been banned? Would someone be kind enuff to answer under "General topics" as I have heard nothing at all about any bans on foglights??? [:I] [:I]
I fitted fogs on my ZX but they dont have any beam as such.. they just throw light in a 180 degree area over about 100yards. With no headlights on, just my fogs, it would only be possible to drive very slowly as visability would be very restricted.. I doubt they would dazzle anyone at 10 ft! lol.. (Though its not actualy possible to have my fogs on without my headlights due to the way they are wired up)..
The problem is that some people fit spotlights instead of foglights and spotlights realy do dazzle oncoming drivers. [:(!]
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

That (spots pretending to be fogs) is what I was wondering....
Fogs aren't banned as such, it's just that the way the law is now being applied makes using them at all -- unless perhaps right in the middle of an old-time "pea souper" -- rather risky. You can get done if there is a brief thinning of the fog and the lights are not off.
And it's increasingly obvious that the whole thing is not really to do with "safety" at all, that's just a weaselling excuse they use because it is mostly to do with the government's hate campaign against motorists plus police looking to maximise profits.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

Fog lights DO NOT help you see, they only light up several meters in front of the car, by the time anything is illuminated by them ... It's wwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to late to avoid it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
When its foggy at night and your dipped headlights cause more glare than visibility, your fogs allow you to drive slowly and see where you are going. Under such conditions you wouldn't be able to drive at all without them.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

I've never understood that bit, fog lights are designed to be low down and so not bounce back light off the fog like dipped beams do..............so why is it the law that you can only use fog lights WITH dipped beam ! I personally think that anyone driving in non-foggy conditions with them on should be stopped and given a ticking off by the police, especially as I was stopped for just that a good few years ago :-)
Pete