ZX watery footwell !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Plane Fixer
My Cars: Simca 1000GLS [First Car]
Citroen GS Estate [Dad's cast off]
Some BL things....not good
Citroen ZX 1.9TD Estate
Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi
Berlingo Multispace [M59] 1.6Hdi...[RIP]
Berlingo Multispace XTR [B9] 1.6 Hdi 2008..no DPF or Adblue

ZX watery footwell !

Post by Plane Fixer »

I have suddenly found someone has fitted my 1996 ZX TD Estate with a swimming pool in the driver's side footwell[:D]
Yes everytime it rains now I get a very soggy footwell. Apart from the obvious of looking for a leak around the windscreen rubber can anyone suggest any other places I should check for leaks if if doesn't prove to be around the windscreen. The car has a factory fitted sunroof could that also be the leak source?? The footwell fills with water even if the car is just parked up, so I have discounted water being thrown up from the road and getting in that way. If the leak does prove to be in the area around the windscreen does anyone have any recommendations of a good sealant (other than the normal silicone based type stuff).
Thanks for any help...
1996/ZX TD Estate 120,000...been dry up to now [:)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Not to sure with Zx.But your thinking along the right lines.If the sunroof is a slide and tilt type,open it all the way back.At the front,you should see a couple of small holes at either side.These are the drain holes.Pour a bit of water in them,it should flow straight out somewhere by the front wheels,if not they are blocked.
Could be the windscreen/seals.Try getting some one to spray a hose over the car for about 10 mins while you have a good look around it inside.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Comma SEEK 'N SEAL
liquid windscreen sealant
always found it far better than any of the silicone stuff.... unless there is an actual gap to be filled, in which case I'd still be inclined to use a more permanent, rubbery sealer like Life Caulk from a chandlers or a similar product from a gun, fishing or camping shop.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Another thing to check. Does your car have a central arial in the roof? These have been known to leak.
KEITHC
My Cars:

Post by KEITHC »

Check that the areas at both ends of the scuttle panel are not blocked. Under the bonnet is a black plastic moulding (the winscreen wiper spindle passes throught this) which acts as a gutter for anything running off the windscreen. This exits into the area adjacent to the inner wing, therefore you should check that the drain is not blocked. If it is, the water rises and leaks into the car via wiring grommets. Over time the area will actually drain so you will not be able to see a problem.
Check both ends by pouring water into them, which should exit onto the road.