REAR SUSPENSION

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kirbson
My Cars:

REAR SUSPENSION

Post by kirbson »

SO I NOW HAVE 2 PROBLEMS WITH THE XANTIA 1.9 TD VSX ,I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK THE GEEN FLUID SO I PUT THE CAR IN MAX POSITION FINE EVERYTHING OK ,LET IT GO RIGHT DOWN ON ITS ARSE THEN BACK TO NORMAL ,BUT THE FRONT END JUST CAME RIGHT UP THE REAR LOOKED VERY SAD ,PUMP GOING HELL FOR LEATHER ,BUT NOTHING LET IT BACK DOWN AGAIN AND PUT IT IN NORMAL FRONT CAME UP ,REAR TOOK WELL OVER A COUPLE OF MINS TO GET BACK TO NORMAL ANY REPLYS WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOME
STEVE
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Steve - Do you know if the accumulator sphere has been changed in the last three years?
kirbson
My Cars:

Post by kirbson »

HI
I DONT THINK THE ACCUMULATOR SPHERE HAS BEEN CHANGED ONLY HAD THE CAR A COUPLE OF MONTHS
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If it's got starship mileage on it the brake valve could be badly worn, the rear brakes and rear suspension share the same hydraulic circuit, this allows them to operate at the same pressure and to vary the amount of braking effort from the rear brakes.
The more weight you put in the car the higher the pressure has to be to lift it to it's normal ride height, and because there is more weight on the rear wheel's the rear brakes can be made to work harder.
If the valve is worn beyond a certain level it will leak internaly, wasting pressure that would otherwise be lifting the rear of the car.
If your car has no anti sink gear on it (no rear centre sphere) does the rear suspension sink to the deck quickly, if it does this is a common tell tale sign of brake valve wear.
To confirm it you need to find the rear brake return pipe from the brake valve, dissconnect it from the reservoir and start the engine, if LHM ooses from it the valve's buggered I'm affraid, should be no more than a drip...........drip............drip and idealy nothing.
As the hydraulic component's wear they will all start to leak internaly to some extent and bleed off some pressure making the whole system slower to react, this internal leakage is catered for by low pressure return lines.
Good luck
Dave
p.s much more civilised to use lower case when posting :o)