Front brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Front brakes

Post by np »

Have to change front disks & pads on Sat as their warped(see post 14/6/04,r/suspension)Changed disks 2yrs ago 4 same reason,but not pads.Took about an hour 2 do both.
Anyway,any advice or tips,or is it just as easy to do pads as it was 4 the disks?I have Bendix system on mine.Thanks
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The only must do is to not just push the pistons back into the caliper as this will ruin them. If you do not have what is called a 'brake wind back tool' (about £25) get a large screwdriver with a square shaft and use that to slot across the grooves on the piston and basically screw the piston back into the caliper.
When you fit the pads make sure that the peg on the back of the pad locks into one of the grooves used to wind the piston back in.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Thanks Richard,i remember now.I used a wood chisel as it fitted the slot perfect.Gently pushed as i wound it back in.Should be fine with it now thanks.Only prob,its pi*^ing down with rain here !!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

All done.Very easy job,about 40 mins both sides.Only bad thing was winding the pistons in,takes ages!Used my 10mm wood chisel on pistons,works a treat.
Isn`t it a great feeling when something doesn`t go wrong & jobs done in no time?!?!
Will be taking it steady for a couple of 100 miles to let them bed in,hopefully all will be well then.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Its a good idea to make sure the caliper top slide pin is lubriacted on a Xantia too. I've had suspected warped discs stop vibrating just by lubricating this pin, the discs always have some run out in them and if the caliper doesn't slide freely it can feel like your discs are warped when they are within tolerance.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I love this job. So easy on the Xantia - although as said, the pistion winding is a little tedious with improvised tools. How long do your pads last versus mileage out of interest?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I brought the car Dec 2001 with 105k miles.The front pads were changed,as were the rear disks and pads.Went to Italy with caravan in the Aug,warped the front disks.(mont blanc,1 in 3 hills etc!)Changed disks when got home as pads were fine.Now done 134k,& pads still had about 10k left on them.Changed whole lot this time.We do a lot of caravaning,so about 40k miles for a set of pads is good.
I had 1984 Cav SRI,used to get through pads every 12k miles!(no towing then)
Kowalski,done that aswell.They were nice & free anyway.