Xantia Speedometer Removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phaeton

Xantia Speedometer Removal

Post by phaeton »

My Tacho stopped working a few years ago but as it's a 1.9TD SX I figured I didn't need it anyway. It works when I first start the car but when it gets warm in about 3 miles it just stops. No big deal I can live without it, searched these forums (fantastic by the way) and consensus seems to be the sender unit so I thinks I'll get round to it one day.
Anyway now my Speedo has stopped working properlry, it does the same thing, when cold it works fine then after a few miles it jumps up to 48mph it stays there for most speeds. If you get onto the motorway & get up to an assumed 85 (sorry officer) it drops down to around 42mph. After searching the forum it appears the favourite is again the sender on the gearbox, however when it first started going faulty banging the dashboard would make it come right again. I was wondering if there was a bad connection behind the cluster., is this feasible? I looked over the wekend on trying to take the cluster out but couldn't work out how it was held in any help would be gratefully received.
The car has done 110k, I've had it for the last 70k & 7years, never had a problem apart from the door plips packing up & the plastic bit on the clutch pedal. Can't really afford to change it but cannot risk losing my license trying to judge 30mph going past a school etc.<font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

IIRC
1) Disconnect Battery
2) Wait at least 10 minutes
3) Remove Airbag from steering wheel (if fitted) it is held on by 2 torx screws from behind
4) Undo steering wheel nut but DO NOT REMOVE.
5) Give steering wheel a sharp pull. Nut will prevent shattered front teeth and mangled radio remote control wiring.
6) Disconnect radio remote wiring, remove nut and steering wheel.
7) Remove steering column shrouds.
8) Remove trim at bottom of instrument panel.
9) Remove 2 lower instrument panel mounting screws.
10) Remove 1 upper screw set vertically above panel.
11) Prise down plastic lug that upper screw was holding and pull!
Whilst you have it out I should also check the bulbs and relace any that are blown/discoloured.
Assembly is the reverse of removal (where have I heard that before [:)])
Richard
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sometimes havesame prob with my speedo.Only ever seems to be a couple of times a year,in the summer when its very hot!?!?Never any other time.Will stop then start,under & over read,then about 10mins later,back 2 normal.Hasn`t done it this year so far.The best was on the M4,170MPH!!well off the clock,stayed there 4 about 2 mins.It recorded about 30 miles in that time!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Make sure you get the steering wheel nut tight when you put it back, some thread locking compound might be a good idea too.
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Thanks guys, speedo changed this morning, paid £45 from a scrappy (no idea if that's good or bad). Tacho still stops working after about a mile so that must be the sender not the head. Only question I have if somebody has an answer is my car is a 1.9TD & the speedo came off a 1.9D. The part number on mine is 0902/104/9904 the replacement one now fitted is 0902/104/9902. Can anybody tell me if they are the same, the replacement was made 5 months before the orginal. Just concerned that the gear ratio's might be different or the tyre/wheel size was different so it might not be reading the correct speed.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Depends what size wheels you have.Is yours a early or later model?14 or 15" wheels,& do you know what wheels the scrap one had on?
I think the difference in readings would be minamal.