xm sunroof

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chopper666
My Cars:

xm sunroof

Post by chopper666 »

the sunroof on my 92' xm is not working. it makes a noise when the buttons are pressed so i assume the motor is still operative to some degree, but no movement of the glass.
Any suggestions is this a big & costly job?
bought my 92' xm 2 ltr for £435 with 12months mot, 6 months taxed, FCSH for first 4/5 years as company director owned,then owned by an engineer at the same company who serviced it himself, large history file, i am third owner. Spent £50 to get the central locking sorted, apart from that almost mint, interior mint & never smoked in.
Do you think i got a good deal, not too sure what going rate is for an xm.
also what should the stock wheel covers be like on this series?
thanks for any help.[8]
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

You can get access to the motor by removing the interior light assembly. You wont be able to see much other than the motor and gear mechanism. If your fault lies elsewhere you will have to remove the plastic roof trim to get the sunroof out. Mine had a gear fault so I didnt need to do this.
The price you paid is quite reasonable.
The wheel trims are a plain disc with 5 silver discs in the centre. They are expensive - £55 each. I lost one and decided to replace them with a set out of Halfords which I think look better.
Jim
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello!
As jack said about the motors location, i will give you my experiance on sunroofs!
It sounds like to me the cables are seized so they would need replacing which is easiest if you drop the headlining down to remove the complete sunroof assembly. But before that i would be inclined to remove the motor first and check the teeth on the drive. Then look inside the area where the motor drive was engaged into and you will see part of the 2 sunroof cables. Check carefully to see the condtion of them. (You can only see a small part anyway) If ok , then i would remove the glass which i think is held in with 4 Torx screws. Then you can careful push the sliders back a bit to see if the cable or cables are seized. Sometimes a bit of spray grease helps but if the sunroof has not been used for a while it may be well seized. Then you can decide on your next course of action!
Hope that helps!
Good luck.
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

it appears that a cable has snapped in the sunroof mechanism.
can the cables alone be replaced or would the entire unit need replacing.
i am keen to feel the wind on my receeding hairline.
any suggestions as to what my next step would be?
any help appreciated[8]
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

any one any ideas?
[V]
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

The cables can be replaced but I think they cost over £100. If I were you I would open a window instead !
Jim
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

where would i get them from?
i am going to stick with the open window option, but you never know i may feel a bit flush one month!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sounds silly but once repaired the electric window winder on an old Rover 600(argh) buy using the same wire / steel rope as uesed for bike brakes. Bought about 10ft from Ha****s and made a good repair. If you can get the wire out you may be able to get fresh stuff in for a fairly decent repair. Sorry cost was only a couple of quid.
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

has anyone attempted similar with an xm?[8]
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

Some members of the XM List have done it. Try www.yahoogroups.com and join the XM discussion group.
Jim
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

can some one give me an email address where i can track down a sunroof cable kit? [8]