CV Boot straps / ZX hub nut size

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

CV Boot straps / ZX hub nut size

Post by RichardW »

Whilst effecting a temporary bumper repair on the ZX last night (see post in For Sale....) I noticed a bit of grease splashed around the inside of the wheel arch. Sure enough a look underneath shows the boot has started to leak. Not sure if it's split or the strap has come off the outboard end (was getting dark by this time).
So, if it needs to go back on will cable ties do? If not is it possible to do up the ligarex without the special tool? If I get a boot kit, does it come with new straps, and same question about doing it up?
Seems a bit common this, my Sister's ZX D keeps popping the near side boot off, and now mine has let go. Hmm.
Cheers [:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Cable ties will do fine as long as you pull them up tight and cut the ends off short- I have never had any problem with them at all ones- on the other hand I have never had any success with the steel bands that normally come with kits!!
If one tie won't go all the way round, and the ones I swipe from work don't, you can just use two.
tedperkins
My Cars:

Post by tedperkins »

I would try the cable ties first. Make sure you get very long ties, - you want the tie to be very tight, and it is easier to get a good grip to tighten the tie if you have some extra length to work with. Ligarex is good, but you need to have some clearance area around the axle in order to use the tool properly.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Thanks guys.
Cursory inspection this evening shows both ends of the boot still attached, so it must have a hole in it - didn't find it though as it's still wet and horrible here!
So, next question, what size is the hub nut? I hope Citroen have done something sensible for a change, and made it 35mm same as the Xantia[8)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Dunno what size they are on the ZX, but they're 35mm on my Xanita. I didn't have a 35mm socket neither did my Dad, but he did have a 1 3/8 BS ring key which did the job, had to hit it with a sledge hammer to shift the nut, standing on it and jumping up and down didnt do the job.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yes the hub nut is 35mm. Did my old ZX's drive shafts. I did tighten them up with out a touque wrench. I found as tight as you can go was fine.