XM Buyer's Tests

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nuclear_jimbo
My Cars:

XM Buyer's Tests

Post by nuclear_jimbo »

I'm looking at buying an XM but, as a Citroen virgin, I'm mildly troubled about buying a pup. Are there a series of tests that can be done to ensure the hydraulics are in full working order without needing to resort to boiler suits, pressure gauges and a main dealer?
Cheers,
Jim
xm-2.5td
My Cars:

Post by xm-2.5td »

I have some documents that you might find interesting but it’s too big to post it here.
Send me a e-mail if you still want it and I'll send it to you.
Welcome to club :)
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Nuclear Jimbo,
Join the XM owners newsgroup at yahoogroups
XM-L@yahoogroups.com
monitor it for a bit, then ask the question.
We are a friendly lot.
Don't let the tales of the very early XMs scare you. Later ones are far more reliable and superb vehicles! Enjoy one while you can, but don't expect a Toyota Yaris. The XM is more "involving" but far more rewarding.
rg
'97 XM 2.5 VSX Estate
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

thanks for the links, i have gone one step further and plundged in at the deep end buying a 92 2ltr xm i, despite no real knowledge of these cars.£435 , 12 months mot, 6 months tax, engineer owned huge file and dealer serviced prior to that. mint interior & never smoked in. so far i love it, a few problems but easily addressed so far ( central locking, mate of a mate put it straight for £50). also sunroof not working at the moment. was it a good/ bad price? Handbrake/footbrake set up takes a little getting used to!
when you say horror stories about early cars, just how early are you talking?[8]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

From memory, and without first-hand XM experience, I understand that many XM horror stories relate to the electrics. They used a plug-in earth system which was famously prone to corrosion problems, and which will probaby have been replaced on an enthusiast's car by standard earth "posts" and ring-end connectors.
I have also been told that the 2.0 ltr petrol in one of its guises was problematic because no 2 oil level dipstick readings were ever the same....hence some precision measuring and care required when carrying oil changes and monitoring oil levels. If there is a manual method to open the sunroof using an allen-key, like on the BX, then I would try to open it manually first as little-used sunroofs tend to cling to their rubber seals after a while, preventing normal operation.
if central locking and sunroof are the main problems, then you're laughing.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

chopper666,
By "early" I mean..errmm... through to about '94 (the Series 1 period). Sorry about that. However, if it's been well maintained, then you should be OK. Some early ones are absolutely fine. XMs tend to be either total rats or quite good. As do other hydropneumatic cits, so I have observed.
There are countless fix stories on the yahoo group regarding sun roof and central locking.
Did you pay too much? Well if it's been well-serviced, then maybe not. Personally, I would look at sub-100 for most series 1 XMs as most are abused.
HTH
rg
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

If you are pleased with the car you bought then don't worry about it.. The time for worry was BEFORE you paid!! lol..
chopper666
My Cars:

Post by chopper666 »

i am very please with the car, was just wondering what market value was, to my mind i got a bargain.[8]