XM suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

William

XM suspension

Post by William »

I thought that the back end of my XM was getting a bit hard the other day so I got out and bounced it up and down for a bit. It was hard at first but after a couple of bounces it jumped up and hit me on the chin[B)]After that it felt about right. Why did it do that?
It can't really hear the names I call it....can it?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Were you peforming "external citaerobics"??? lol
Perhaps all that bumping confused the height corrector..so it bit back!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Have you checked the rear arm "lean" on full height lately, or listened out for clanks or clicks from the rear end? As rear arm bearings and races wear or corrode they can actually impede rear suspension travel, particularly if they have literally got stuck in a "rut" cause by collapsing bearing cages or a cracked race. Well, that's my theory anyway.
Also, it could be that the bouncing freed up the mechanical height corrector linkage if that was starting to gum up and seize. Internal citaerobics called for, methinks.
Does this age of XM have any anti-sink spheres?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

That sounds very like the valve for the soft sphere suddenly opened and unusually the sphere had high pressure in it.
The suspension ECU should equalize the pressure by frequently opening the valve for a short time. It does this for the very reason that, if it opens with a high pressure in it, the car will jump up. However as the default is stiff I dont see why it would just suddenly open and also why it would have high pressure unless there is a problem with the electrovalve. It might be a bit sticky but is that likely?