Plip where to get one (RF)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markallinson
My Cars:

Plip where to get one (RF)

Post by markallinson »

Hi, new to this site, looks good[8D]. Had my Xsara for a while now and its really starting to bug me that I only have the spare key. I've read loads of post on here about IR plips but couldn't find any regarding the RF plip for the Xsara.
Is there anywhere I can get one apart from a Citroen dealer, who want sill money for all the bits, plip, blade & housing, then to add insult to injury they want more money to "program it",[:(!] they reckon £30 to program it!
Anyway what can I do? I found info on a device form Maplins which may be an option, http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module ... odulecode=
Excellent tip in the common problems section, mayonnaise, I was all set to change the head gasket[V], read this tip and changed the (leaky) thermostat and hey presto[:D]! No more mayo, plus the temperature is more constant.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I had this problem as well but I needed the spare key. Belive me I'm tight with the money (squeek when I walk, moths in the wallet etc) and I tried all the open avenue's but it kept comming back to the main dealer. Silly money is all I can say. I ended up tracing the previous 2 owners via some old paperwork in the service history and managed to get the spare key from one of them. Cost no more then the stamp on the envelope. I found no other way not even kissing bottoms at Citroen UK head office via E-mail and phone. You could try E-bay for the fob part and have it re-coded then just buy the key part from Citroen.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

Does anyone know if the plip form a Saxo can be reprogrammed for the Xsara?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

The RF plips ar differant from a saxo to a xsara so are not interchangeable and cannot be programmed.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I think you will find that rather than waiting and messing about,Go and buy a Plip for your car from a Citroen dealer. Both of mine packed in and I looked everywhere including the scrap yards. I still ended up going to a Citroen dealer.
markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

Right then, part number for the plip is 6552RA cost £57.96, key blade is £9.39 special order (has to be cut for the car). Programming £41.00 for 30 minutes labour!
This is a total of £108.35 for a new key! This is outragous! Being an electronics engineer I know the parts will cost a max of about a tenner, and as for proigramming, how on earth can it take 30 minutes, I could reinstall windows XP in this time!
Citroen are taking owners for a ride with this. No body else seems able to supply the plip, thanks for the links.
ARGH!!!!!!
markallinson
My Cars:

Post by markallinson »

http://www.advanced-diagnostics.com.au/ADP1.htm
The above link shows how to program the new plip, 30 minutes I DON'T THINK SO!