Ahhh...Heater Matrix!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Karl

Ahhh...Heater Matrix!

Post by Karl »

After a broken hose which led to a head gasket failure at the start of the year, then a radiator replacement, now got a leaky matrix. Can`t spend any more money on her since I have other hobbies, so need a temp fix.
If I leave the heater control in cold setting is that likely to stop any coolant going into the matrix? or is that wishful thinking. Suppose I could bypass the matrix ~(Hayes shows the matrix can be disconnected quite easily), but anyone know the hose size I need to get?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

The heater controls adjust the air mix, and doesnt affect the flow of coolant through the matrix.
A bit of 15mm copper tube should be OK to bypass the heater, but make sure it all gets bled properly afterwards.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Try a bottle of Forte rad sealant (not all that cheap at £14 a go though!). Mine had got to the water dripping out of the bottom of the dash stage, and the Forte sealed it up. That was 6,500 miles ago and it's still holding. Not sure I dare change the coolant now though!
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Ditto Richards's post.
My local indie uses Forte for medium-term fixes. I have just used some in my XM 2.5 and it has had a dramatic effect in sealing all the niggling tiny leaks in the main radiator and (suspected) leaks in heater matrix. It's certainly worth a try. Bypassing is not such a big hassle either. Standard heater hose from a factor and a piece of 22mm (I think) copper pipe as used for domestic water systems sorted my Pug 405 out for around 10K (coincidently the summer mileage!).
HTH
rg
Karl

Post by Karl »

Where can one find this wonder stuff[?][?] Tried a internet search and came up with nothing.