CX Turbo 2 - Pointers?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

CX Turbo 2 - Pointers?

Post by philhoward »

Hopefully off to look at a CX GTi Turbo this weekend; anything special to look for apart from the obvious rot/turbo smoke/lhm colour?
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Only couple of things to say about it, buy it and then BUY IT. I've had many CX's (about 9 in fact) And 2 were GTi Turbos both series 2 cars one a turbo 1 the other a turbo 2. I ;ove em, usual CX rust problems to watch for, rear arm bearings going, front arm bushes going, flywheel sensors going, usual poor condition wiring connectors etc, rust round sunroof. Sort these and keep it for ever. If you get a decent test drive try sitting at 80 ish mph in fourth with trailing throttle then really boot it, you will be impressed, you will grin, you will buy it :-)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Rear arm bushes I'm prepared to check for; bad wear patterns on the tyres and a "knock-kneed" stance point to this, IIRC? Front arm bushes are a new one to me, though. Flywheel sensors don't scare me (how many are there on a Turbo2?) A tin of switch cleaner, a box full of relays and connectors are normally sitting in the garage somewhere so that shouldn't be a problem.
Anywhere inparticluar to poke with a screwdriver for tinworm?
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Phil,
mate what your doing ... BUY IT NOW !!! If you don't like it please deliver to the docks for me [:D]
My CX is pretty much rust free, however I have had very problematic electrical issues.
Basically when you get the car home, park it in the shed and spend a few weekend clean/replacing EVERY electrical connector you can find. Especially the big multiplugs under the spare wheel shroud. I spent probably a solid day with a needle file and sandpaper cleaning all the connectors (most of them were green with corrosion), some fell off and appeared to have never been crimped at the factory [:0].
These cars are fantastic. Don't worry if it has stuffed rear arm bearings and front bushes/ball joints. If you do these yourself you'll know the car is then excellent for many years to come.
I've recently done the rear arm bearings in my CX, they certainly are fun given the appeared to have been lubricated with salty water on my CX. The bearings can be purchased from any bearing supplier here for about 10quid, so there no big deal.
I'll be doing the front lower arm bushes and ball joints soon. This way the car will be ok for the next 20years [8D]
You can see the work I've had to do on my CX 2500 GTi Turbo on my webpage:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane
seeya,
Shane L.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It's all your fauly, Shane....i've spent far too long drooling over yours!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

OOps! I jolly nearly bought it myself this morning Phil, having checked my balance last night, but I just checked Citroenz to see that it was you that was looking for one. I take it that you are going to view the Northwich car. If so I'll withdraw, so as not to get in your way. If it isn't the same car, please tip me the wink.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Tis the very same one, Tom. Should for some reason I decide not to buy it, I can give you the low down on it before it goes to the scrappers. Watch this space (talking of which, one of the fleet needs to go; any takers?)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

did you say that the fleet contains two starships already or were you referring to the Xantia and the GTI?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

The Xant and the BX is all I have at the moment; I want to get into Intergalactic Space Travel...
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Right then - i've seen it in the flesh!
Looks gorgeous in that light metallic red (same as Shane's). It's actually a Turbo 1.5 (Turbo 1 engine in a Turbo 2 coating). Maikonics have been dabbling bit time; turbo/wastegate mods, beautiful straught through stainless exhaust, HUGE intercooler (same size as water radiator...), Cosworth clutch (with Pallas servo), etc, etc...
Bad bits...A bit crusty/rusty round the rear, bumper mountings especially (it now has one less...oops!). Few scabs round the bottom of the rear doors. Surface rust on a few hydro pipes, but generally ok. Has been stood in the same place for nearly 3 years, so the (well expensive) tyres are cracked although they have plenty of tread. The headlining is currently tucket behind the rear headrests following a sunroof in/out job, as is just about all the interior trim from waist level upwards.
Rear anti-roll bar has a sheared off bolt on the rhs suspenion arm, the spheres are flat (ticks every 10 seconds) and the rear brakes seem siezed (brakes on, suspension up, only front comes up). Height control motor works, though...
Funnily enough it didn't want to start...Finally found the inlet manifold full of petrol (so much so it was dripping on the exhaust), looks like the cold start valve being too generous. Mopped up the petrol and tried again; nearly fired. Finally got it onto 2 cylinders; other two didn't want to know due to (you've guessed it) dodgy connector block for 1&4 coil pack.
Fuel computer is missing, as are a few bits of other dash trim, and only 1 1/2 of the digi displays work (luckily water temp was the 1). Leccy mirrors barely showing signs of life, as are the windows.
Oil pressure seems good (3-4 bar warm, idling) and it's got a mere 87k on the clock. Crank was polished not long back when the engine came out for the Cosworth clutch. Rear arm bearings have been done.
Sods law; I get it going (should have left it non-running as a bargaining point), and current owner starts smiling again. Price isn't open to much negotiation, but what do y'all reckon?
I need to make a decision in a couple of days (only fair)...either I buy it, or Tom & Shane will fight over it!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I doubt Shane would mess in on this - he's too far away - down under [:D]
Tom may well get ignited on this [8D]
- either way - it sounds like a huge project to restore this car even to a fair standard.
Be careful with the rear bodyworks - may look decent from outside - but a disaster once you get under it.
I've seen a few decent CX'es on my hunting - which in fact was separated in the rear subframe.
- the blessings of our winter salts [:(]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I had a good prod underneath; only the bumper mounts (and a little bit at the front of the front inner wing where a big grommet is missing) crumbled.
It'd probably take a couple of (long) weekends to sort, but I said that about the BX. A day and half and it had an MoT! Owner did say he'll mot it for the asking price...now THERE's temtping..
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

without being funny what is the asking price?
I paid 1500 for my turbo 1.5 as you put it 6 years ago, i kept it 2 years and it did a good 20000 miiles with me, nothing wrong and no rust. My turbo 2 i effectively paid 400 for and kept it a year, it was a bit rusty but nothing much and fine mechanically. From what you have said it seems like sub 400 quid. But the maikonics is desireable.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by philhoward</i>
Owner did say he'll mot it for the asking price...now THERE's temtping..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font color="red">WHAT </font id="red">[:0] - say <font size="5"><font color="green">YES</font id="green"></font id="size5"> [8D]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

He's asking £500 for it; just one of the Maikonics bills came to that alone..
If it was less, I'd have bought it today. Need to shift one of the others first though (bad couple of months for overtime).
Still worried over those tyres, though; £184 each, or are there other wheels (XM?) that fit?