Berlingo - diagnostic socket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davey
My Cars:

Berlingo - diagnostic socket

Post by davey »

Does anyone happen to know what the pin designations are for the diagnostic socket on new shape berlingo?
any help appreciated ...
dave
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot read fault codes on Berlingos without a 'professional' code reader.
Since about 95 onwards very few cars ECUs can be read by attatching an LED to the appropriate pin on the diagnostic socket because they do not generate what is known as 'flash' codes. i.e. a pulse of electricity.
The pins are however used for different jobs, on the Citroen 16 pin version for instance a different lead is required depending on whether engine or ABS/Air bag fault codes are being read from the same socket.
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

cheers richard, could well believe what you are saying about simple diagnostics, those days are long gone.
however, i work on a machine that uses canbus technology (pretty flaky most of the time!) and i can look at lots of info thru its controlling processor using a laptop to look at various faults/status. if i knew what the pinouts of the plug were i would probably be able to tell if it was possible to rig somthing up. maybe not to look at everything but some of it.
just a little something to tide me over at work when it goes quiet.
dave
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Dave whereabouts are you as I have a Sykes code reader with the necessary leads etc, maybe we could meet up, I'm just west of Heathrow,
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

Sounds like a good idea Richard, i'm up on the isle of skye - give me a mo and I'll grab my jacket and meet you somwhere about the m25, by the way whats a motorway?. Seriously though, thanks for the kind offer.
Its usefull to know someone aside from cit make such a reader, this probably means the system cannot be special to type and must use known protocols. Is there any info with the sykes reader that gives a clue to diagnostic port pinouts?
it would be a shame not to look into this as most systems i've worked on in the past have diagnostic ports and virtually all have used the basic computer comm port to read data albeit not via standard connectors.
just out of interest the sykes reader, does it give you much info? cost?
nice weather up here (no rain or flies for a change) so if you fancy a scenic drive ......
cheers
dave