xantia fans suck or blow

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goodier
My Cars:

xantia fans suck or blow

Post by goodier »

rad fans on xantia 1.9td should they suck the air from the engine through the rad and intercooler, or through the grill intercooler / rad / engine, i know it sounds daft but it looks like someone has had a go at the electrics and mine does the first one, hot air from rad is trying to come out the front and heating the intercooler
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Ooeerrr. You want to get that fixed. They should suck cool air from the front, through the intercooler and/or heat exchanger then the radiator.
goodier
My Cars:

Post by goodier »

cheers i thought it was wrong, car overheats when towing the caravan, no b*~#%y wonder
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Just reverse the connections to the fans and you'll be ok. Check that they are both reversed though. If this is like a BX then the wiring can confuse. There are two settings. Slow switches the fans in series with 6 volts across each fan and fast connects them in parallel. because of this, it is possible to get only one fan reversed. Run them both in slow and fast, using a tuft of wool to determine airflow.
goodier
My Cars:

Post by goodier »

how do get at the fans do i have to take out the rad / intercooler.
just noticed on goes on way the other, the other way????
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

in which case, just reverse the wiring connection to the fan which blows the wrong way. This sounds like the auxiliary fan kit was fitted without due care and attention. I wonder how many head gaskets the poor previous owner went through before vowing never to touch a Xantia again?
Make sure that they rotate the same way both fast and slow!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My xantia gets hot when towing our caravan.Normal driving 80-95,caravan 85-105.Up hills mostly.Had a new rad+stat,every thing working as it should.
My theory is this:-at the front,intercooler(nearly size of rad)a/c rad in the middle,rad at the back.On long climbs,turbo & i/c sucking in all the air,rad not getting any=running hot.
My other TD`s & my dads 406 had much smaller i/c BESIDE the rad,temp gauge never moves when towing.Any other views?
goodier
My Cars:

Post by goodier »

FANS RUNNING RIGHT WAY, FLUSHED SYSTEM NEW RAD CAP, OLD ONE WAS LEAKING THE CAR TOOK MORE WATER AFTER THIRD FLUSH THIS WEEK, LOTS MORE PUT CAR ON RAMPS TOOK OF THE BLEED SCREW PUT ON EXTRA HEADER TANK AND FILLED AND FILLED, CAR RUNS GREAT