Xsara Cooling Fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

volcane305

Xsara Cooling Fan

Post by volcane305 »

Hi
I am having trouble with the cooling fan of my 110 xsara HDI 01. Sometimes it does not cut in when it should and temp rises to close to half way then I take remedial action. Sometimes it cuts in at 60 quarter way on the gauge. Fear of getting caught in traffic and cooking it or leaving it running and forgetting about it.What is the likely cause? Where is the switch and sensor and how much are they likely to cost??
Thanks
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello!
I belive the temp sensor is a green coloured, 2 pin sensor. It is located (as viewed from under the bonnet), on the right hand side of the engine block, behind and to the left of the air filter piping.It is mounted in a black looking block which is bolted on to the side of the engine.It is held in with a clip, and will lose a bit of water when removed.
The cooling fans are operated by the injection ecu, so there is no seperate relay to operate the fans.
Are you sure there is a problem with the temp, and its just not due to the general rise in weather temp anyway? Just a thought.
Good luck.
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Thanks Monkeyman, I'm pretty sure something is wrong because fan generally would have cut in about half way between 1/4 and half way on the temp gauge (about 80c). On one occasion the temp rose above half way with no fan. Thinking about it a bit more I had recently noticed that the fan was on much more than usual it seemed to be running constantly when temp not realy rising. I'll get a new sensor and see how that goes, unfortunately just out of warranty.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I just fitted a sensor this morning on a HDI and it was 6 quid, so nothing too bad there. The black looking block i spoke about above is the fuel heater. If you still don't think its right after the sensor replacement try and get it looked at on a diag machine. (The engine temp is displayed in the injection ECU). By the way if you disconnect the sensor and run the engine it will go in to back up mode and bring the engine light on , so its not really proving anything that way!