xantia drop groan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jsruddy
My Cars:

xantia drop groan

Post by jsruddy »

As per previous threads about the groaning noise when dropping the suspension from high to low i've noticed if I leave my auto in park, no handbrake on, the noise is much reduced. Perhapes locking the front wheels preloads the suspension, forcing it to move in a restrained manner, causing rubbing, and therefore groaning.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

So the groaning is from the front of the car ?
Check the protective gaiters on the struts, you shouldn't be able to see any of the 'metal' of the struts at the front. It's possible these will need lubricating if exposed, and find some way of protecting them ( eg. using tie-wraps over the gaiter ).
If the noise is from the back, then it's 90% certain to be the rear arm bearings on thier way out.
jsruddy
My Cars:

Post by jsruddy »

Yes gaiters are o/k and metal lubricated my point was the groaning is made worse by having the handbrake on, most people with a manual box almost always have the handbrake on, and if you stop the wheels turning the suspension does not move freely and therefore groans as it moves through much larger distances, in fact the strut does not move at all when driving, so the groan is only there because the suspension is doing something it was not designed to do, and as such the groan is nothing to worry about
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Most Xantias here have the Anti-sink suspenion. Ie: when you manually lower the car using the height adjustment the front struts do bind. Mine are 95% better since I put the car on 'high' pulled back the strut dust covers back and greased the piston. I did this about 3times per side after moving the car from high to low several times.
BTW: the extremes of both high and low would bind with my Xantia (as they are never used). However the intermediate positions didn't seem to bind (as they are used in general driving).
good luck
Shane L.