Rear seat belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FEDAK
My Cars:

Rear seat belt

Post by FEDAK »

I have a 97 xantia and I would like to fit a 3 point belt in the centre instead of the lap belt.
has any one done this, can you buy a kit??
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

That would be a bit difficult wouldnt it? i mean there would be no decent anchor point,unless you piggybacked on one of the used ones? but would that be ok for the MOT?
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

There are firms that do aftermarket belts for the Xantia. I was considering one last year. Unfortunately I have thrown away the details but you should be able to find them with a search of the web. The downside is that you will lose boot space.
Mark
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Just for info. The Xantia estate that I have has a 3 point belt in the middle of the rear seat as standard.
Cheers
Duncan
FEDAK
My Cars:

Post by FEDAK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gaskin</i>

Just for info. The Xantia estate that I have has a 3 point belt in the middle of the rear seat as standard.
Cheers
Duncan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
where is the anchor point for the belt reel ??
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The '98 versions have a 3point belt as standard. Maybe you could find a rear seat from one?
The retracting part seems to be inside the seat back.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Only Xantia estates have a three point centre belt, the rear seat on estates are of a much sturdier build but unfortunately are not compatable with saloons.
Quite how you get around this problem without fitting a very sturdy bar across the boot to support the top anchoring point, I don't know.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My est has a 3 point belt.All the reel ect is enclosed within the seat back.Did the later mk 2(97/98 on)only have a lap belt in the middle??
tony42
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR+ Technopack 150 Blue Tourer 2016
Citroen C4 1.6HDI VTR 2013

Post by tony42 »

I fitted a 3 point belt to my 1998 xantia. I bought a seat from an estate hoping it would fit into the hatch. It doesnt by a long shot.
I bought a fixed 3 point belt from car accessory shop for about £25.
I cut up the estate seat and drilled and bolted what was left of the frame to the back of the hatch seat. I then had a fixing point for the new belt. Its a fixed not inertia reel which means it has to be adjusted to the person sitting on the seat and it does not tension up like the inertia reel. Works ok and at least allowed me feel my daughter had a 3 point belt of sorts rather than the ludicrous lap belt. Sadly Citroen ignored and dealer requests to fit proper belt to the middle seat. It seems a lot of irish dealers had complaints about the lack of a proper belt.
rgds
Tony