Citroen AX Annoyances

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phil02

Post by phil02 »

The starter really gave trouble today and took around 30 tries before it engaged - all I got was a loud "clunk" from the motor each time, sounded like it was trying to move but wasn't actually getting anywhere...how difficult is it to change an ignition switch (and how expensive)?
It does seem like the ignition because usually taking the key out and putting it back in seems to help matters, as opposed to just trying it again and again with the key between stages 2 & 3.
It's injection, not carb., so I can't do the water treatment, and it sounds a little too scary to me....! It hates water anyway - get some fog or light drizzle and it becomes very grumpy and reluctant...
Thanks
Phil
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It's injection, not carb., so I can't do the water treatment, and it sounds a little too scary to me....! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It doesn't know, so you can still trickle or spray water into air intake<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It hates water anyway - get some fog or light drizzle and it becomes very grumpy and reluctant...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hmmm....sounds like a clue there. Open the bonnet with it running, when it is pitch dark - you may find you need some new HT leads.
phil02

Post by phil02 »

I hope not - they're brand new! How much is a scrap/new ignition switch and how easy would it be for an inexperienced person like myself to fix? I have a willingness to tinker with small things like that but only if it's not too complicated!
Cheers
Phil
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Phil,
In the words of a policeman - do you have anything else to tell us ?
Is this the complete history, it's useful to be able to troubleshoot your problem.
FWIW, I have a 1.5D AX which has only once ( in my 2 weeks ownership ) failed to do anything when the key is turned. Taking the key out and putting it back in resolves the problem, so as with your situation, I would expect the problem to be in the ignition switch somewhere.
phil02

Post by phil02 »

Well, occifer, it were like this, see...
It's 50/50 whether it'll clunk or turn over these days. There's no pattern, sometimes it'll take several tries (or 30+ as with this morning) or it might not do it all day - it's more or less behaved itself since this morning...
Sometimes taking the key out helps, but it didn't this morning - only constant repeated turns of the key fired the engine (and then that was while I was underneath it - that wakes you up).
Phil
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sometimes taking the key out helps, but it didn't this morning - only constant repeated turns of the key fired the engine (and then that was while I was underneath it - that wakes you up).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'll bet it is quite cold sleeping on the garage floor.....[;)]
If it is the ignition switch, I cannot see why the starter should clunk - the clunk means the solenoid is being energised. Can you get to the small terminal on the starter solenoid to jump a lead from the battery on to it?
I think your damp problem is another issue, Phil, and must be ignition-related
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Turn the headlights on full against a wall, or car, or something..
If the lights dim when you turn the ignition, then power is going somewhere, so it may be the starter brushes or something like that ( have you tried gently tapping the starter motor ? ).
If they don't, then there is no power being sent anywhere when you turn the key, and this would point me towards the ignition.
phil02

Post by phil02 »

When the key is turned and nothing happens but a clunk, if I hold the key there the radio blips at me same as it does when the key is removed from the ignition to remind me to take the security panel off.
Do you know how easy and cheap it is to change the ignition switch?
Cheers
Phil
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, if you were to do a little investigation yourself, you would see that in the shop, there is the following.
N92804 IGNITION LOCK AX MK1 >91 35.50 Add
N92806 IGNITION LOCK AX MK2 91> 35.00 Add
However, bear in mind that this would then leave you with two keys for the car ( one for the locks, the other to start it ), so it may be worthwhile getting the whole set.
Personally, I'm just going to put up with it until it stops me getting to work, and then I'll curse it, kick it, and give it a damn good thrashing ( picture Basil Fawlty )...
Mat.
phil02

Post by phil02 »

My humble apologies - didn't realise there was a shop attached to the forum, as I came by it through Google....doh!
I think you've hit the nail on the head - I'm out of spare cash anyway so plan B is nothing gets fixed unless it breaks now...fingers crossed!
Cheers
Phil