Pump fault.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonka

Pump fault.

Post by tonka »

As some of you may remember I have several problems with my xantia.
All supposed to be under Warrenty. The garage in question is going to complete all the other work required [:D]
But I am still in discussions with them re the hydraulic pump. which is noisey even on half turn of wheel, they tell me that this is normal for the miles 46000[:(!]. I think I may be able to get them to go halves on it How much is the pump on a yr. 2000 TD (not HDi)xantia with air-con. How much from a dealer fitted. How hard are they to fit if I go DIY
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

hmmm...
...if it doesn't sound right to you, then it probably isn't...
rg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Many later Xantias with the split suspension / PAS pump make a lot of hissing noise with any lock on, and can be very noisy if held a full lock. You hardly notice it from inside the car, but it can sound like the pump is about to expire from outside the car! Might be worth seeing if you can find another one to compare it against. If it is more than hissing / grumbling (eg sharp matallic sounds) then the pump could be sucking air and cavitating, again probably not the pump's fault - air leak on the inlet side most likely cause. Pumps are usually good for 150k, even if LHM changes are negelected, so it seems unlikely it has gone west at <50k, unless it's been severly abused. Or clocked[:D]
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Does this mean that the PAS on some Xantias does not run off the HP LHM circuit??
Incidently, many Volvo 400 series are v.noisy on full lock; even when new, leading many owners to think that now the cars are a few years old, the steering is about to expire!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

>Does this mean that the PAS on some Xantias does not run off the HP LHM circuit??
Correct(ish). On later cars with anti-sink (95 MY on IIRC) the LHM pump is split in 2 internally. 2 pistons are used to supply the suspension on one output, and 6 pistons are used to supply the PAS on a second output (there's only one suction though). Also does away with the flow distribution valve, and means the suspension takes an age to get pressure up if it has been completely depressured!
tonka

Post by tonka »

Many Thanks for replies
Pump can be heard inside car, plus when I cleaned the LHM filters there was a lot of black sludge.
More worrying was the metal shaving in the semi circular filter, not a lot of metal but some.[:(][:(]
Could this be anything other than the pump.
Garage intend to hydro flush only.