ZX 16v misfire after 10 minutes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VisaGTi16v

ZX 16v misfire after 10 minutes

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I have searched on here to find other posts about zx 16v's misfiring but have only found ones with misfires the whole time or ones that clear after a few minutes hence the new post :)
Driving through Canterbury yesterday in heavy slow/stationary traffic I suddenly got the smell of burning which stopped not long after. However just after this I got a total lack of power, down to about 1/4 normal and a constant misfire. All temperature gauges were fine. Carried on driving slowly as I needed to get to a wedding.
Going to the reception it was fine for about 10 minutes after starting then did it again, misfire, and no power at all (no smell of burning this time)
And again this morning coming home it did the same.
I initially thought the cat had gone, internals collapsed or something which would explain the power due to strangulation and misfiring out the exhaust however then it was fine for the first 10 minutes the next 2 times I drove it???
So I dont know, could a failed cat still do this and when its got hot after 10mins driving it plays up. I would have thought a ignition coil would do it 100% of the time?
Any ideas would be appriciated. If it is the cat its ok as its 9 months till MOT so will just get a pipe welded in its place for now.
cheers
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Silly question but is it using more fuel? a kn**kerd cat would use a lot more fuel. This could then possibly flood (over enrich)the engine and in turn give this stalling and lack of power but don't quote me on it.
Shouldn't be to much to remove the cat and have a look inside. Did one on a Rover 600 (horrible car) and took about 30 mins to remove and put back. Only 3 bolts.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

well it has done a lot less miles on this tank so far than normal although it also has a small leak when cornering hard left from the top of the pipe but no 50 miles worth of leak! :)
I will go to work via a garage I know and ask him what he thinks.
Re-reading, if this was the case wouldnt it happen striaght away and lead to random running? This goes fine for 10mins then misfiring but consistently with no change at all. Would have thought fuel problems would lead to it revving all over the place? hmm
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah! if the cats bitten the dust it may well be only after 10 mins as it has then warmed up. Older motor's have to warm up the cat befor full meow is achieved apparently.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

full meow heh ok yes it looks like the cat and lol only just understood the meow bit as i write this sigh :p
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

if i have the cat taken out and it replaced with a straight pipe for now, what about the lamda sensor? I know this tells the car the emmisions or something so it adjusts how to run right but where exactly is it? before or after the cat and so will the car even work properly without the cat in? Perhaps have to remove battery so ecu resets and 'learns' the engine setup again?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Overheating coil is my guess, one of my bikes caught me out with the same symptoms. Fine when cold, ran like a pig when it got hot.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

How would I check for that? Let it get hot so that its doing it then (with engine off and then restart) remove one coil at a time? Didnt seem like it was on 3 cylinders just like someone had put a 652cc 2cv lump into it :)
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Yep was no.3 coil in the end. £62 inc vat for garage to spot this and put a new one in so not too bad I guess. Bit weird as I took the plugs out and there was no soot or petrol on them which I would have expected if it hadnt been firing right. Gave it a thorough test today and it seems to be back to normal :)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Ok, I got here late and was about to scream "Look at the coils" but it is fixed. In view of the postings about cats and Lambdae: The Lambda sensor will not know if there is a cat or not. It is not connected to the cat.
I am a cat lover but if it is the type fitted to a car then remove it and kill it to bits.
You will be doing the environment a big favour and likewise your pocket. Your car will run better, too.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

unitl the next MOT when it wouldnt get through but I will be scrapping it then anyway :)
So removing the cat would you need to remove battery and then plug back on for ecu to reset or anything or do you do nothing at all due to lamba not caring about cat but you just get free'er exhaust of gases?